Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
I have purchased a good few camera apps.
ProCamera is good but expensive once you purchase all the filters.
ProCam 6 is also good but again has several filters to purchase.
Moment requires you to carry out an in-app upgrade to Moment Pro for RAW support.
My current favourites are Camera-M and ProCam but have my eye on Halide which is turning out to be one awesome camera app.

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
ProCamera is the only one I found, at least so far, that allowed enough WB adjustments so make photos using UniWB and TLC methods.
Having said that, it’s k d or rare that I use a cell phone to make photos any,ore.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I'm curious to know between Camera-M and Halide. Those both have gorgeous UI. Do these shoot in RAW format? However Halide doesn't have video mode.

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
For video, if you do any serious video work. I can highly recommend FiLMIc Pro.
Adjustable frame rate, adjustable bit rate, adjustable push and pull settings, can use either lens, allows for shooting in flat gamma and log gamma. For Post work (color grading, etc) I can highly recommend LumaFusion.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
Adobe Lightroom Mobile has a very good RAW camera built in and shows highlight clipping, very useful when shooting RAW. It’s free, but to save RAW edits in LRM you have to have a CC subscription. You can however, export the .dng RAW file and edit it in another image editor.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
If so, does anyone know how to set it to shoot in this format?
I've used both the Moment app and Halide to shoot in RAW. The files are saved as DNG. Note however that RAW on the new Xs iPhones is problematic. In Moment they are basically unusable as they are terribly overexposed. Halide has a new version out in which they've done some work to alleviate that, but I've not found them to be very useful, particularly low-light images.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
The overexposed Xs series RAW files have been noted by the Halide folks and they’ve recently updated their app. This article on Luminous Landscape emphasizes the necessity of being able to see highlight clipping and adjust the exposure accordingly. This article may be paywalled, but if you can read it, read it through without leaving the page.

https://luminous-landscape.com/iphone-raw-seriously/

TL;DR, CameraPro, Lightroom Mobile, and RAW+ Apps have highlight clipping features. I have not used CameraPro yet, but I have tried RAW+ and it does not save images for me and this is noted in some reviews, however the app is free for the first 100 shots so you can certainly try it out. Lightroom’s camera works well for showing the highlight clipping.

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Adobe Lightroom Mobile has a very good RAW camera built in and shows highlight clipping, very useful when shooting RAW. It’s free, but to save RAW edits in LRM you have to have a CC subscription. You can however, export the .dng RAW file and edit it in another image editor.

You do not need to have a CC subscription to save the raw edits in LR. I use LR all the time and it saves the raw edit jpgs just fine to the camera roll.
Also, LR has a great HDR processing engine however it doesn’t allow fine tuning on the WB and does not have a histogram. The zebra stripping isn’t that useful (to me). It only show when highlights are clipped, not when I’m close to clipping (which I need and want to see as I shoot ETR when in shooting raw).

Tommy c

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2012
Pocono PA
I do this.

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
The overexposed Xs series RAW files have been noted by the Halide folks and they’ve recently updated their app. This article on Luminous Landscape emphasizes the necessity of being able to see highlight clipping and adjust the exposure accordingly. This article may be paywalled, but if you can read it, read it through without leaving the page.

https://luminous-landscape.com/iphone-raw-seriously/

TL;DR, CameraPro, Lightroom Mobile, and RAW+ Apps have highlight clipping features. I have not used CameraPro yet, but I have tried RAW+ and it does not save images for me and this is noted in some reviews, however the app is free for the first 100 shots so you can certainly try it out. Lightroom’s camera works well for showing the highlight clipping.

I don’t use highlight clipping much as it doesn’t show when close to being clipped (which is what is need to shoot ETR). ProCamera displays the live histogram which is much more useful.
Regarding exposure, use your histogram, that’s it’s purpose. All of the major cam apps (that support raw) give you complete control over shutter speed and ISO settings.
[doublepost=1539212080][/doublepost]
I do this.

LR mobile allows you to save the edited raw files as jpgs without a CC subscription. I use it all the time (or use to, I seldom use my phone for photos these days).

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
That’s correct on LR. You have to save the edits as jpeg unless you have cc subscription.

Oh the edits, yup. I do t see that as a problem anyway. I really never used LR Mobile on my phone to do the edits. Way too small of a screen. I would always dump the LR raws off to the iPad or laptop anyway.
I misread and thought people were saying couldn’t save the jpgs (edited and processed raw).

BTW, I see you in Arizona. I lived in Tucson from 1976 until 2015 when I retired and moved to the Philippines. I grew up (through high school) in West Palm Beach Florida and then moved to Miami to finish schooling. Gone from there a couple of years because the Army called. Back to Miami after the army then Tucson in 1976.
:)

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
I’m with you @fred98tj. I usually export the unedited RAW file from the phone to either an iPad Pro or to Dropox -> Photoshop using the ‘Export Original’ option.

I’m actually in Knoxville, TN - Fountain City is a suburb named for fountain in a nearby city park.

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
I’m with you @fred98tj. I usually export the unedited RAW file from the phone to either an iPad Pro or to Dropox -> Photoshop using the ‘Export Original’ option.

I’m actually in Knoxville, TN - Fountain City is a suburb named for fountain in a nearby city park.

Oppsss. Sorry. :p. Saw “AZ” in your screen name and “Fountain city”. The town in Arizona is actually “Fountain Hills”. Time for my second cup of coffee (its morning time here now).

I actually seldom use my phone for photos anymore. Sometimes a little “digi-snap” here and there but that’s about it. For me, cell phones just aren’t there yet, but can certainly make some very acceptable photos for many people and certainly fine often for social media post.

I’ve been photographing for ca 55 years and am just using one of my cameras these days.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
Oppsss. Sorry. :p. Saw “AZ” in your screen name and “Fountain city”. The town in Arizona is actually “Fountain Hills”. Time for my second cup of coffee (its morning time here now).

I actually seldom use my phone for photos anymore. Sometimes a little “digi-snap” here and there but that’s about it. For me, cell phones just aren’t there yet, but can certainly make some very acceptable photos for many people and certainly fine often for social media post.

I’ve been photographing for ca 55 years and am just using one of my cameras these days.

Me too, I still shoot large format black and white, usually 5x7 and 8x10 but I live 7x17 and 8x20. I have a 1920s vintage 8x20 Korona that’s so loose you’d swear it could never take a sharp image, yet it does.

The phone camera works better if you have a lightbox/lighting so you don’t have to edit too much. And of course you’re limited to how large you can print though Apple does really well with image management. My old 8MP 6 would print to 8x10 very well, and that’s the size of Edward Weston’s film camera! I’m actually having a lot of fun just seeing how much I can squeeze out of the X. With a RAW file it can be quite good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.