Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moleyman69

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Hi,

An associate of mine is looking to buy a 2022 iPad and wants to be able to watch movies / tv shows on it and they can't decide between the 64GB or the 256GB version.

However, could they put their movies / TV shows on to a USB-C memory stick and plug it directly in to the iPad and then access these movie / tv show files on the USB-C stick via VLC? That way, they would only have to buy the 64GB version.

Hopefully, I've explained this clearly. It makes sense in my head :)

Thank you very much.

Moley

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Yes and no. I'm (fairly) sure that VLC can only read from its own onboard location. I don't remember seeing any options to point it to external devices. But that iPad folder is of course accessible in Files, so your associate could copy over shows and movies in small batches and watch them before deleting. I'd get the 256GB though.

Reactions: DaPhox

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Hi,

An associate of mine is looking to buy a 2022 iPad and wants to be able to watch movies / tv shows on it and they can't decide between the 64GB or the 256GB version.

However, could they put their movies / TV shows on to a USB-C memory stick and plug it directly in to the iPad and then access these movie / tv show files on the USB-C stick via VLC? That way, they would only have to buy the 64GB version.

Hopefully, I've explained this clearly. It makes sense in my head :)

Thank you very much.

Moley

Yes, you can use VLC to watch videos directly from attached storage without copying the videos to the iPad.

Reactions: LibbyLA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.