Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ucshade

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2022
My only issue is seeing this crack at the top of my iPhone 8 Plus, still I plan on using it as it do not affect the touch or any components, just want to know if this top crack on the upper right can be ignored...#am not ready for a screen replacement now but how can I manage this,,,,,

Attachments

• 6D092D9E-4CCF-44FE-B565-59EF4F47ACB6.jpeg
    6D092D9E-4CCF-44FE-B565-59EF4F47ACB6.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 141
  • BD5E52DB-BF2C-4382-BB24-7ECE8CEA90AD.jpeg
    BD5E52DB-BF2C-4382-BB24-7ECE8CEA90AD.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 96
This is only an option for iPhone 12 and newer.
Correct, I would order the OEM screen part from a third party and use the Self Repair Option to service the iPhone.

Or you can just order everything for iFixit?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Yes, it's just the cover glass that's cracked. Good repair shops can replace that glass and keep the OEM LCD underneath. But given the age of the device, it may not be worth it.

Reactions: tbobmccoy

Ucshade

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2022
Yes, it's just the cover glass that's cracked. Good repair shops can replace that glass and keep the OEM LCD underneath. But given the age of the device, it may not be worth it.
That’s why I want to be careful henceforth but only hope my water resistant remains in tact as my phone has never been repaired lest this

Reactions: Alex Cai

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Correct, I would order the OEM screen part from a third party and use the Self Repair Option to service the iPhone.

Or you can just order everything for iFixit?

You can't do anything with the self repair option with an iPhone 8. They won't just ship you the tools unless you have an appropriate phone.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If you don’t drop it again or bump it hard on that corner, the cracks won’t spread.
Obviously it’s no longer water resistant on that corner.

Reactions: Ucshade

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
That’s why I want to be careful henceforth but only hope my water resistant remains in tact as my phone has never been repaired lest this
Are you submerging your phone in water? Water resistance degrades over time. If the device is old enough it could theoretically already be gone/weakened.

When Apple does battery replacements they reseal the device restoring water resistance.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
My only issue is seeing this crack at the top of my iPhone 8 Plus, still I plan on using it as it do not affect the touch or any components, just want to know if this top crack on the upper right can be ignored...#am not ready for a screen replacement now but how can I manage this,,,,,
Get a new phone(It's time!

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Just ignore the cracks if you plan on continuing to use the phone. I have seen people use cracked screens which is something I wouldn’t do but it doesn’t affect the functionality of the phone.

If you want to repair your phone then you can go to a third party repair shop. A lot of them stock OEM parts which will cost you more than generic but is worth it IMO. Phone up the shop and clarify that they have OEM screens in stock.

Reactions: Ucshade

Andrew73875

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2022
There is a chance of scratching your face using your phone. Also shards will start to fall off after a while exposing sharp edges of the glass. As people advised above, you can put a screen protector to protect yourself (as a temporary solution) and change the screen or change the phone as soon as possible.

Here's information on screen repairs from Apple

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.