Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi,

I have a g4 mdd dually 1.25. i love it, but it's loud. that is another story and i'm looking to quiet it down (if by chance, you have a copper heatsink from a g4 1.42, please let me know :)

BUT, i keep hearing about these raptor drives being super fast and great for your system.

how do they work? if they are only 74 GB (which means slightly less than that), where do i put my apps? i don't think they'll fit on that size of drive or if they do, i won't have much space left.

i use final cut, toast (motion pictures), dvd studio pro ALOT. i used a few externals, as well as the 4 internals. how would a raptor speed up the work or make my machine more efficient?

i could probably google this or wikipedia, but i like to hear real life experiences and the users on this forum, are well experienced :)

Cheers,
keebler

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Hi,

I have a g4 mdd dually 1.25. i love it, but it's loud. that is another story and i'm looking to quiet it down (if by chance, you have a copper heatsink from a g4 1.42, please let me know :)

BUT, i keep hearing about these raptor drives being super fast and great for your system.

how do they work? if they are only 74 GB (which means slightly less than that), where do i put my apps? i don't think they'll fit on that size of drive or if they do, i won't have much space left.

i use final cut, toast (motion pictures), dvd studio pro ALOT. i used a few externals, as well as the 4 internals. how would a raptor speed up the work or make my machine more efficient?

i could probably google this or wikipedia, but i like to hear real life experiences and the users on this forum, are well experienced :)

Cheers,
keebler

Do not by a raptor if you're wanting to quiet your G4. These drives are moderately noisy and will only add to the background noise.

Stick with 7200 drives, a nice quiet western digital will give you much more for your money. see http://www.silentpcreview.com for good reviews.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Its a tradeoff.........speeeed vs. noise

The Raptors ARE very FAST, but are NOT silent, not overly loud, but not silent either :p

I have 3 of them in my QS)

I use 1 for a boot drive, 1 for a scratch disk, and the other for back-up & maintenance.

You can fit alot of apps & the OS on a 74GB drive, but the real trick is to have a seperate drive for your scratch disk and temporary/editing/cache files........ this not only adds space but additional performance as well, at least it does when using Photoshop/Illustrator etc....

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Last time I bought some Raptors for the three G5s at work, they were SATA drives, not ATA... you can't use them in MDD G4s without a SATA card.

We use them as scratch disks but I may get new ones to also use as boot drives... I can't hear them over the general office noise.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
thanks for the replies folks.

i'll keep my options open. my first step, if i don't sell the g4, is to buy some quieter fans :)

then i may upgrade the main HD to a raptor.

thanks again. i appreciate you taking the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.