Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukestrohbehn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2013
I recently subscribed to a VPN service and have been using it frequently. I have been using my phone and iCloud services pretty regularly (before the VPN purchase), but recently, my account was locked. I was forced to do a password reset through the apple id website, and I assume my account had had a hacking attempt. After resetting, not more than a week later, my account has been locked again. Therefore, I pose my original question, can Apple suspect suspicious activity due to using a VPN? Any help will be greatly appreciated, I am not interested in resetting my password every week.

Could I be a victim of phishing?

For further information, I am using Windows iCloud services and an iPhone. I also have two-factor authentication enabled.

Edit: I apologize if this isn't the place to post this question, I was unsure.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is how I think it works:
  1. you create an iCloud account using a Canadian IP;
  2. you use a VPN which changes your geolocation to the UK and the Apple server sees this as odd;or
  3. you use a VPN that connects to random global servers and the Apple server sees this as odd.
This is probably why Apple servers are locking the account. Servers can determine that you are using a VPN service, the same way Netflix can detect a VPN.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
I recently subscribed to a VPN service and have been using it frequently. I have been using my phone and iCloud services pretty regularly (before the VPN purchase), but recently, my account was locked. I was forced to do a password reset through the apple id website, and I assume my account had had a hacking attempt. After resetting, not more than a week later, my account has been locked again. Therefore, I pose my original question, can Apple suspect suspicious activity due to using a VPN? Any help will be greatly appreciated, I am not interested in resetting my password every week.

Could I be a victim of phishing?

For further information, I am using Windows iCloud services and an iPhone. I also have two-factor authentication enabled.

Edit: I apologize if this isn't the place to post this question, I was unsure.

here is my experience from using all (?) apple services from multiple countries, often using VPN.

1 of course any server can (usually) detect if you are trying to spoof your location through use of VPN

2 for apple services such that use an iCloud apple ID, iOS apps such as Files, Music, Photos, App Store, Mail, Messages, Safari, are not bothered at all by your using VPN. never experienced a problem with any of these services. never noticed any need to enter my iCloud apple ID password any more than is usual from when accessing these services in my home country and not using any VPN.

3 even with two factor authentication turned on, you still get a 6 digit passcode correctly sent to your phone even if using VPN.

4 here are some things that could be related to your experience:
- are you using a SIM card that is not registered as a verified number in your apple ID account?
- have you incorrectly entered your password more than the set number of times?

5 contrast my good experience with apple versus amazon or google:
for these two sites i am too frequently asked to verify I'm not a robot with their rediculous use of the photo-match graphic. always happens no matter where i am if i am using VPN. really annoying.

6 apple News and other apps that require a certain Region won't work with VPN. the only way to access News is to set an allowed Region. trying to spoof region though use of VPN does not work.

Reactions: lukestrohbehn

LongKho

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2017
Singapore
I am on VPN 24x7 on both the windowsOS and macOS/iOS for iCloud, onedrive, google drive and switch vpn server few times per day. So far have no need to perform any password reset request/2FA.

I would suspect service could have being block and key session cannot secure.

HTH

lukestrohbehn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2013
- are you using a SIM card that is not registered as a verified number in your apple ID account?

I am using a SIM card not related to my original device number, but I have since registered it to my account and I am able to use Two-factor identification with it. However, I have stopped paying for data service with this SIM and I'm operating strictly on airplane mode and wifi.

I have since reset my password (for the third time) and I haven't been locked out... yet. Hopefully, it'll stay this way.

Reactions: jpn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.