Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yalinc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2019
Since it has mouse support, can we expect to see keyboard with trackpad? I am about to buy one, but don't want to waste money a few months later.

Reactions: sakplat

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
No. And Apple won’t release such a product in a few months, even if they are building one right now.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Timing aside, it will happen. However, designing a trackpad into the smartcover pup tent is no small task

dontpokebearz

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2018
Maine
No.

I don't see this to be a jerk, but we need to curb our expectations with mouse support. This is not going to and most likely won't ever get the level of support that macOS/Windows has.

Mouse support on iOS is simply an accessibility feature for people with dexterity issues. We don't get a mouse cursor - we get a giant 'finger-esque' cursor.

Reactions: Cape Dave

yalinc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2019
seems many people want a trackpad as me. Hopefully it will be available soon from Apple or somebody..

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Apple will find a way to monetize mouse support....no doubt. There will be a proprietary Apple trackpad that supports iPadOS gestures, and it will cost over $100......count on it. It might be integrated into the Keyboard case, which will become more expensive, or it will be stand alone accessory or both. But, Apple can’t pass up an opportunity to make some money off of this feature.

They did the same thing with keyboards and pencils. For years, you could use third party BT keyboards and stylus on your iPad, and you still can. But then, Apple created the proprietary Keyboard Connector and Apple Pencil chip......voila, $200 keyboard case and $100 pencil. A proprietary trackpad is a no-brainer accessory for Apple.

Reactions: Jedimindtrick

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2017
I think eventually there will be an apple product that is similar to a Microsoft Surface.

The preliminary stages of the mouse support, iPadOS is now its own separate OS, and the fact that MacOS will soon be running iPad apps natively - all the framework for a new Apple hardware to eventually hit the market. Things are merging slowly but surely.

Reactions: jerryk

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Since it has mouse support, can we expect to see keyboard with trackpad? I am about to buy one, but don't want to waste money a few months later.
Yes. There will be 3rd parties that will make keyboard covers and cases with a trackpad. As for one made by Apple? No.

YES. But not from Apple. :cool:
This is the correct answer.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
We will see quite a few very soon. My advice is to not buy the first wave of accessories, especially when there was no advance warning. Case makes will put out some questionable stuff at first

Reactions: sracer

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA

I could see Brydge making something like this. They might. You never know. You just have to hold out and see. This whole mouse and iPad thing is still a shock to most.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
I can almost see it coming out for the Pro eventually, but maybe not until next year - and i'm assuming iPad OS (2? 14?) will feature a "desktop mode" with a dedicated key on the keyboard to trigger it. They might lock it into being a pro feature by the pro keyboard being the only one to feature it (obviously unless third parties add it to theirs)

Naturally, just wild speculation.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I could see Brydge making something like this. They might. You never know. You just have to hold out and see. This whole mouse and iPad thing is still a shock to most.
BRYDGE takes their time but this will be a natural for them.

There's plenty of real estate on their keyboard for the 12.9" iPad Pro, for example. I have one and it's great — if a trackpad version becomes available, I'll buy in a heartbeat.

I just hope they build it for the gen 1/2 like mine. If they only come out with a gen 3 model, that might push me to upgrade but I hope not. There's no feature in the gen 3 iPad Pro that appeals to me.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Of those people saying Apple will not create a keyboard with a trackpad, how many thought Apple would create a separate iPadOS and add support for a mouse to iPadOS on day one.

Ever day Apple developers are adding iPad only features to iPadOS making more and more different than IOS

Last edited:

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Right, it's only been a few days. Apple will realize (at least the negative faction) that people REALLY want this, they will adapt. It's a business after all not a religion (at least not since SJ AD)

Reactions: Precursor

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Wouldn’t be entirely surprised if the the next iPad Pro had one incorporated into the Smart Keyboard but - surprise! - it wouldn’t be compatible with current iPad Pro’s.

Although I think even this scenario is a stretch and dependent on Apple bringing mouse support upfront and out of accessibility. Not sure they will as they like to emphasise the touch focus of the os.

Last edited:

shamus99

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2014
I hope so.... along with a bigger keyboard so the ipad doesn’t look so top heavy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.