Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I was playing with the iPod touch at the Apple store the other day and I noticed that when you press the power button to show the lock screen, it fades in from black. It looks really cool! I was wondering if there is some sort of plist edit that will enable that effect on the iPhone. I wonder why Apple would make them different in the first place.

Anyone know how to do this? If not, can someone look into possibly making this happen?

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I've never seen this, but I'd be interested, so just replying to easily find the thread later :)

TechJunky

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
Very cool! I want!

On the topic of app transititions though, some apps open just "cutting" instead of zooming from a small box. For example, sometimes when I open mail, it just cuts to my inbox instead of zooming in. I suspect it's because ram is short and it just dumps the effect to save memory. So I'm not sure page transitions are a high priority on the os's list.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I know I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead, but I was just thinking about this today--did a google search, which brought me back here (it seems that I can't escape this place!). So why doesn't the 3GS have the fade-in effect after wake? Is it a limit of the crappy screens? I thought that this would be in the 3GS for sure. My sister's 2g iPod Touch does it. It looks classier than simply jumping back to life all of the sudden. More Apple-like.

Anyone know if the iPad does this?

TechJunky

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
Wow, old thread!

On the topic of app transititions though, some apps open just "cutting" instead of zooming from a small box. For example, sometimes when I open mail, it just cuts to my inbox instead of zooming in. I suspect it's because ram is short and it just dumps the effect to save memory. So I'm not sure page transitions are a high priority on the os's list.

I've since learned that when the system is lean on memory, it will cut in and out of apps sometimes. Getting rid of Winterboard on my 3G solved most memory problems. I also use "Safari Quitter" that automatically kills safari every time you close it, so it doesn't stay running. This has helped A LOT with the functioning of UI transitions and running other apps.

Re: fade in effect. Have you searched or posted at Modmyi? Macthemes? I have no idea, but post here if you figure it out.

true3man

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2012
I noticed this between mine and a friends. We discovered in the end that it was because I had raised the brightness from Apple's default. If you lower the brightness bit by bit you will see the fade in effect is getting canceled out by the backlight turning on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.