Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tommy c

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Pocono PA
Hi Guys,

I did try to search this which no real results. Maybe I’m asking the wrong thing, or saying it wrong. I’m trying to search my purchase orders I make at work to see if i ordered a part and when. I can search this on my Mac deep in the PO itself, but not the iPad. For instance, if I type CAP-2M7F-250V, I just get a result that shows any document starting with the letter C and not what’s inside the document. These are PDF’s and i do have adobe acrobat reader on the iPad, but I’m doing this in the Flies app directly. When I make a new order, I add it the whole folder and it’s updated automatically in the files app. That is why.

I attached a picture below. I get the actually whole document. I want what’s inside the document. Is this not possible On the iPad?

Attachments

• 50407642-B605-43CA-9460-924FF1271541.png
    50407642-B605-43CA-9460-924FF1271541.png
    1 MB · Views: 258

Tommy c

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Pocono PA
You can do this via spotlight search

It does not work. I just tried that. If I try to search for a part in my PDF's, I get no search results. You do know what I'm trying to do correct? If I type in my part, for exampl: CAP-1MF-250V Nothing comes up. I only get 2 results because the name 2 PDF’s happen to start with CAP. I’ll get the name of the document, if it’s there.

I’ll I want to do is deep search inside the PDF’s and IOS can’t do this it seems.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
It does not work. I just tried that. If I try to search for a part in my PDF's, I get no search results. You do know what I'm trying to do correct? If I type in my part, for exampl: CAP-1MF-250V Nothing comes up. I only get 2 results because the name 2 PDF’s happen to start with CAP. I’ll get the name of the document, if it’s there.

I’ll I want to do is deep search inside the PDF’s and IOS can’t do this it seems.
You are correct. I understand your issue now. My first test found the file by search for a file name. When I tried a search for a phrase within a file contents it didn’t work. Bummer

Tommy c

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Pocono PA
You are correct. I understand your issue now. My first test found the file by search for a file name. When I tried a search for a phrase within a file contents it didn’t work. Bummer
Yea, exactly. This seems to never be mentioned at all when I see reviews of the iPad or any IOS device. The iPad can never be a laptop replacement as long as this function is not doable. I really love this iPad too. I wonder why this is not allowed in IOS.

Reactions: VineRider
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.