Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you choose this AirPods alternative?

• Yes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters

ericjjr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
There are so many AirPods alternative now, this seems like the hottest because of the video on Unbox Therapy channel, will you choose this AirPods or you will wait for the real AirPods.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I think one of the areas that the others won't come close to matching Apple's Airpods is, connectivity (judging from the few informative reviews that are out). If you are on the Apple eco-system, there may not be good reason to not get a W1 powered earphones. This currently includes the Solo 3, Powerbeats 3, Beats X and Airpods.

Quite a few people have already knocked the Bragi head phones due to connectivity issues.

Then there is the issue of QA, if your head phone is a lemon, with Apple you can just walk in the store and get a replacement - what about the other makes?

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I have waited this long for totally wireless tech, I trust Apple will deliver with the Airpods so I will just wait.

I did try the gear icon x, no go for battery life. Unfortunately I feel it would be a concession for me to try anything else when early eviews on the Airpods have been good.

Antgb84

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Trust or not, you don't get the same ease of connectivity and remember, W1 chip allows for some pretty impressive range.

Last edited:

tevion

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2009
I wouldn't buy wireless headphones without the W1 chip.

I've had the Powerbeats 3 for a week or two now, get around 15 hours out of them easily and rock solid connection all around house and walking across the entirety of my office (It's a big office, multiple floors). Get them with some Comply tips and they sound fantastic.

Without something like Comply Tips the sound does drop off allot though, before i put the Comply Tips on i wouldn't use them, instead going back to my wired Bose QuietComfort 20s. Once i received the Comply Tips, well, i've given my Bose headphones to a colleague..

ericjjr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
I think one of the areas that the others won't come close to matching Apple's Airpods is, connectivity (judging from the few informative reviews that are out). If you are on the Apple eco-system, there may not be good reason to not get a W1 powered earphones. This currently includes the Solo 3, Powerbeats 3, Beats X and Airpods.

Quite a few people have already knocked the Bragi head phones due to connectivity issues.

Then there is the issue of QA, if your head phone is a lemon, with Apple you can just walk in the store and get a replacement - what about the other makes?

Yes, if you are in the Apple eco-system, it is better to buy W1 powered earphones, but if you just want to try a truly wireless earphone by other phones like android phones, I think it is not bad to choose such AirPods alternative.

For the connectivity issues, that is really important to wireless earphone, but I am not sure the W1 powered earphone can 100% avoid the connectivity issues, this can not be 100% guaranteed.

ericjjr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
I wouldn't buy wireless headphones without the W1 chip.

I've had the Powerbeats 3 for a week or two now, get around 15 hours out of them easily and rock solid connection all around house and walking across the entirety of my office (It's a big office, multiple floors). Get them with some Comply tips and they sound fantastic.

Without something like Comply Tips the sound does drop off allot though, before i put the Comply Tips on i wouldn't use them, instead going back to my wired Bose QuietComfort 20s. Once i received the Comply Tips, well, i've given my Bose headphones to a colleague..

so the W1 chip really improves a lot on connectivity, no any issues during the time you use it? You put the powerbeats 3 on a desk or put it in your pocket when you walk across the office?

tevion

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2009
so the W1 chip really improves a lot on connectivity, no any issues during the time you use it? You put the powerbeats 3 on a desk or put it in your pocket when you walk across the office?

None.

Typically i'll leave them on my desk or around my neck. I once went into a meeting on the other side of the building, a good distance. Tried to make a call from the meeting, was utterly confused why i couldn't hear anything... Then it dawned on me, the iPhone was still paired to the Powerbeats 3, on my desk, several walls and an entire floor away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.