Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
IMG_3519.jpg

The usual isopropyl alcohol / extensive rubbing solution didn't work for these scratches. Is there any way to get rid of them?

Other than this blemish, this B&W is mint!

Wild Hare

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2021
If they’re too deep to be adequately addressed with the Novus, 3-step plastic products OR automotive rubbing compound (and they appear to be that deep) you might try #0000 or #000 steel wool. And if steel wool isn’t enough, then there’s also the localized use of fine and even finer (3000 grit), micro sanding papers. (Much like the approach that some use to restore weathered clear plastic automotive headlight covers.)

After overall smoothness is possibly attained, apply a clear, spray gloss coat - or waxing & buffing to the apple logo. It is even possible sometimes, that after using steel wool alone, that a clear coat (acting as a “filler” too) can diminish the appearance of the abrasions and restore very nearly the original shine. It can be a lot of “trial and error” at first.

Of course you have to mask around the apple to prevent damage and any overspray on the matte surface of the side panel.

And, have you tried ordinary old lighter fluid to possibly reduce the white? It looks like it might also be a color transfer from some other white plastic. Hard to tell simply from the image.

Best of luck and success.:)

Reactions: philgxxd

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
I’ve used Meguiar's Plast-RX on a Cube to good effect. Just takes a bit of elbow grease.

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
That looks great! I have some scuffs n whatnot that were reduced using cd polish and a polishing cloth but your results are fantastic. I have a couple stubborn ones that I think I’ll use the novus product on.

Reactions: mectojic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.