Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
I'd love to get the same audio I have in the rest of my apartment playing automatically through my MacBook Air. When I try to add it as a new accessory, it appears as "Nearby," but says "Unable to Add Accessory. Make sure your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi, then try pairing again."

Any suggestions?

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Don't think that's possible. Never heard of adding a Mac to HomeKit as an accessory.

However, there is a MacOS app called AirServer that allows you to AirPlay to a Mac.

Last edited:
Reactions: srbNYC

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
…have you enabled the 'AirPlay Receiver' option in Settings?
I have to think that there’s a good deal of passive aggressiveness on Apple’s part in this setting.

The company most opposed in principle to choice, finally relents on this one feature - but they ship it disabled, and bury the ability to turn it on as deep as they could get it.

But then the dark corners of Settings have become the default location for everything Apple feels unjustly forced to provide. They should just rename the app to “Fine”.

I’m surprised they don’t make you use terminal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.