Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Texas
A friend of mine Air 2 screen practically been destroyed while accidentally dropping it on the floor. She went to Apple and she was hoping that they would fix her screen. But they told her that they wouldn't be able to fix that, she would need a replacement.

The dilemma shes facing is her Air 2 is currently jailbroken and now that Apple has closed the jailbreak... Could she ask for a specific iOS firmware? Or is there a guarantee that all refurbished models will be updated to the newest firmware?

Last edited:

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
A friend of mine Air 2 screen practically been destroyed while accidentally dropping it on the floor. She went to Apple and she was hoping that they would fix her screen. But they told her that they wouldn't he able to fix that, she would need a replacement.

The dilemma shes facing is her Air 2 is currently jailbroken and now that Apple has closed the jailbreak... Could she ask for a specific iOS firmware? Or is there a guarantee that all refurbished models will be updated to the newest firmware?

they will feed you some crap about how it's always on the newest firmware. usually some are on a previous one. just hope you get an 8.1.2 ipad.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
Or go to one of the many shops around that will replace screens for a fee. I required a new screen for my iPhone 4s a few years ago and it cost only 85.00 CDN fully installed.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
Idk why you'd wanna void the warranty and get a usually junk screen

JB voids the warranty anyway... and sometimes it comes down to the choice of keeping the JB.

The place I went used OEM parts and the screen was no junk, you could not tell that it had been replaced at all! But be prepared for an iPad to pay between 1 and 2 hundred dollars for it.

The alternative is live with stock.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I would think most/ a lot of Inventory for replacements is still 8.1.2 or below.

8.1.3 is only two weeks old

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Texas
Or go to one of the many shops around that will replace screens for a fee. I required a new screen for my iPhone 4s a few years ago and it cost only 85.00 CDN fully installed.

I've read the Air 2 screen is one of the toughest iDevice to replace thus far... wouldn't wanna put it in the hands of some shop. Best to get a replacement... And have no worries going forward..

----------

I would think most/ a lot of Inventory for replacements is still 8.1.2 or below.

8.1.3 is only two weeks old

I was thinking the same thing. But wasn't entirely sure... it's a toss up. Just not sure how to handle it...

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
JB voids the warranty anyway... and sometimes it comes down to the choice of keeping the JB.

The place I went used OEM parts and the screen was no junk, you could not tell that it had been replaced at all! But be prepared for an iPad to pay between 1 and 2 hundred dollars for it.

Jailbreaking does not void the warranty. Also, it is highly unlikely that the repair shop used genuine Apple parts unless they were salvaging them from other broken devices.

UAV

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2015
of course you can. but i don't think it will do you any good. btw you can also ask them to give you a free iphone. but then again i don't think they will do it lol...

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010

Though they'll say it's the latest, it isn't always. My replacement iPhone 6 was actually two firmware revisions back from what was current at the time. It's just luck of the draw.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks

its not like apple could tell if you had jailbroken if you restore...

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

there's no such thing as OEM parts for Apple products.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
there's no such thing as OEM parts for Apple products.

Well, technically there are OEM parts, because OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer" and Apple has to get the parts from somewhere...however, I don't think anywhere in the U.S. or where there are Apple stores sells these OEM parts.

I wonder in places where there are no Apple stores and instead have authorized service dealers if they ever would sell an OEM part (either shady, or just don't care?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.