Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
By default, from how I understand it, the root account is login-disabled and so it doesn't *have* a password. All methods involving invoking the root user that I know of (link) start by establishing a password for it. Why do you *need* the root user?

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
By default, from how I understand it, the root account is login-disabled and so it doesn't *have* a password. All methods involving invoking the root user that I know of (link) start by establishing a password for it. Why do you *need* the root user?

Wrong. We're talking iPhone Mac OS X here, not Mac OS X for Macs ... The root user is used standard, mobile is not used. When you turn your iPhone on, you are logged in as root. The root password is dottie. To change it, install MobileTerminal and BSD Subsystem, then execute this in the terminal:

passwd root

Then it will ask you to type the new password twice, and you'll have changed the password.

debo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
I know how to change it, I'm asking if it is ok to do so. Like do any of the apps or iTunes use this password?

Lionheart

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Tampa, FL
Wrong. We're talking iPhone Mac OS X here, not Mac OS X for Macs ... The root user is used standard, mobile is not used. When you turn your iPhone on, you are logged in as root. The root password is dottie. To change it, install MobileTerminal and BSD Subsystem, then execute this in the terminal:

passwd root

Then it will ask you to type the new password twice, and you'll have changed the password.

Thanks again General...this is WAY easier than the last directions I read. You're awesome, dude!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.