Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
Hi Guys,

I used to have the OG Homepods connected to my Main Router in my Old Home, now I am shifting house and I will have to use a Wifi Range Extender to have better internet connection in all areas of my House. My question is, does the Homepod gives any problem in Playing Music when connected to a Wifi Range Extender which is connected to the Main Router ? Like not playing or playing intermittently that kind of thing. is it advisable to connect the Homepod to Wifi Range Extender ?

Can someone please tell me ?

Thanks

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Depends a lot on the range extender I think. I'm a big fan of flat networks and APs with ethernet-wired backhauls for best AirPlay results. Next would be a repeater/mesh setup. Some devices classified only as "range extenders" will create their own separate WiFi network and that can cause issues with AirPlay especially if mDNS/Bonjour protocols don't flow.

Don't know if any of this is helpful but I would definitely recommend researching the specific make/model you're thinking about deploying and see if you can turn anything up in a Google search when it comes to AirPlay problems.

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
all the wifi range extender does is either accept and process wifi singals or accept and relay wifi singal. This is no different than attaching a longer network cable to a device.
That being said, the more hops between each device can add latency, and airplay doesnt handle this very well. For example having my two home pods on same wifi network (SSID) but different radios (access points) resulted in some noticeable lag between two homepods sitting next to each other.

So if your doing something that is lag sensitive, then it might impact your homepod, otherwise it should just work as normal.

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
So if your doing something that is lag sensitive, then it might impact your homepod, otherwise it should just work as normal.

And how would I know that if it would impact the working of Homepod of not ? Other than saying try and see ? Because that will make me have the set up change again altogether !!

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
The actual streaming bandwidth requirements of HomePods are pretty low in comparison to today's WiFi bandwidth. I have a mesh network with extenders and have not run into any issues.

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
The actual streaming bandwidth requirements of HomePods are pretty low in comparison to today's WiFi bandwidth. I have a mesh network with extenders and have not run into any issues.
Which Brand Wifi Extender are you using ?

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021

Also I do not have a Mesh Router does it still makes sense for me to buy a Mesh Range Extender ? Will it help ? When your main Router is not a Mesh Router ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.