Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
I’m so new to understanding how smart homes work, and much rather learn on here, what are the key benefits of having a HomePod in my room (living room)?

duanepatrick

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Why HomePod? Better go with Alexa which has a lot more compatibility with other smart devices.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if you don't have Apple Music the HomePod is less than useful
although they are adding third party music playback in the fall, so depending on how that works, that statement might change.
You can get any audio playing on your phone to come out of the HomePod with airplay, but in my opinion this isn't the best option, I do use airplay occasionally, but for "normal operation" playing back directly on the speaker is much better.

Alexa is definitely the "smarter" and more well rounded assistant. Plus anyone can write skills for Alexa, so you're more likely to find what you need with her.

Some newer TVs have support for Alexa.
There's a lot more detail on this page as to what you can do.

I Haven't played with Alexa and home automation too much, But Siri and homekit really shine (as long as she hears you correctly).

One small downside for homekit is availability of devices, They are out there and easy to find, but Alexa compatible devices are more abundant.
The home app is great, and fairly intuitive, Plus you can setup scenes for whatever you want.
so "hey siri, goodnight" can turn off all the lights in the house and lock the doors.
You're also able to make automations based on location, or when devices are controlled (when lamp 1 turns on, automatically turn on lamp 2)

if you have HomePod and Apple Music, you can add music playback to scenes. (don't know if third party will allow this)

If you're using homekit, and have a homehub (aTV, iPad or HomePod) you can access your home devices from anywhere.
so driving home, "hey siri open the garage door" or "turn on the outside lights." you could also have this happen automatically when you get a certain distance from your house.
it would also allow you to unlock your door from anywhere and turn on lights, if you had a friend that needed to get into your house.

----Now onto the speaker part

I'm a huge sonos fan, and their base speaker is just a bit cheaper than HomePod and has either Alexa or Google, If you don't want the assistant and microphone the price drops lower. Or if you get the ikea version, it's even cheaper (also no assistant)
because the music plays on the speaker and all of the apps for phones or computers are just remotes. Meaning you can choose music and start playback from your computer, and then skip a track or change volume from your phone, which you can't do with homepod.

HomePod has the "Bose sound" with really tight and punchy bass,

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
$30 Alexa or $30 Google Home Mini are what you want to sprinkle around your house if your priority is smart devices.

$200 HomePod is what you want in a few rooms of your house if your priority is high fidelity streaming audio.

Both will do what you want (smart home + streaming audio) but HomePod's emphasis is on sound quality.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
1597197083523.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.