Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleanair

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
Just in the iPhone without having to import everything to the computer and given the choice to delete everything?

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Just in the iPhone without having to import everything to the computer and given the choice to delete everything?

If it’s just pictures it’s not so simple. I tend to change the view from albums to photos and then that can be sectioned into weeks, months, years etc.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
You can delete in chunks of 1000-2000 by going to All Photos, scrolling to the top (touch the time, in the status bar) swipe down 6-7 times and then press Select. Start selecting images (touch one and drag to the left or right to select multiple images) and while still holding your finger down to select, press the time in the status bar with another finger. This will cause the phone to scroll to the top, selecting all images in the process.

I was able to delete up to up 2000 pictures at time using this method; any more than that and both my iPhone X and iPad Pro 10.5 would hang - nothing would actually be deleted and I had to reboot to make it work again. Note that you'll have to repeat this process for the Recently Deleted folder, to finally remove the pictures from your device.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
if an iPhone user alone, with a PC then is harder to do. Mac users will have the flexibility [but im not going to go there haha] with the photos app easily

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Within the Photo App, select, "SELECT ALL". This should give all photos a green check mark to delete all.
This doesn't work if you have a large number of pictures; see workaround above. When I tried this with 20,000 pictures/videos, nothing actually happened on either my iPhone X or iPad Pro (I gave it about five minutes on both devices). I had to delete them manually, in chunks of about 2000.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.