Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Simple question; just as the title says.

For those who want some backstory:
I have purchased a series of matter enabled homekit accessories, and to my surprise they don't work without a homekit hub.
I have an M1 Ultra Mac Studio and an iPhone 13, but for reasons I absolutely fail to understand, you can only use an iPad, Homepod or Apple TV....even to simply change the colour of a few lights...

So I'm interested in the cheapest possible solution for this (the homepod mini), but I don't like the idea of a microphone being listening to me perpetually.
Now I know...the hypocrisy...the iphone is already recording you anyway and so on...
But if nothing, I'm asking for my piece of mind...

Can I disable the microphone on an homepod mini?
I'm asking because, if that's the case, I'll go with the Apple TV.
I'd lean towards the homepods, though, as I could at least use them to play audio, while I have no need to stream content with the apple TV, as I have no TV.

Thank you!

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
You can disable "Listen for Hey Siri" for the HomePod.
If that cuts the homepod from recording anything, that's find.
Consider I have always kept siri disabled on my mac and iPhone.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you may be able to find something second hand and save a bit, check your local Facebook marketplace or other similar sites

if buying second hand, make whatever you get has thread. You may not need it now, but it will greatly expand the list of devices available to you when you go to expand your system. and there are more thread devices coming out frequently.
Thread is a new type of radio, like bluetooth or wifi. It's designed with home automation in mind, It is optimized for a lot of devices that don't need much bandwidth. And it's mesh, any device that's connected to power is required by the spec to function as a repeater. It's fairly low power so battery powered devices last longer. It will be more reliable than bluetooth connected devices, more power friendly than wifi, and you don't need a hub outside of an appleTV or HomePod.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
you may be able to find something second hand and save a bit, check your local Facebook marketplace or other similar sites

if buying second hand, make whatever you get has thread. You may not need it now, but it will greatly expand the list of devices available to you when you go to expand your system. and there are more thread devices coming out frequently.
Thread is a new type of radio, like bluetooth or wifi. It's designed with home automation in mind, It is optimized for a lot of devices that don't need much bandwidth. And it's mesh, any device that's connected to power is required by the spec to function as a repeater. It's fairly low power so battery powered devices last longer. It will be more reliable than bluetooth connected devices, more power friendly than wifi, and you don't need a hub outside of an appleTV or HomePod.
I think I'll go with 2 homepod minis in a stereo pair.
I was searching for some simple speakers, regardless, and I have been told these things sound better than one might expect.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
I can understand your desire to disable the microphone, but for the purposes of homekit and music playback, it sure is nice to speak what you want instead of fiddling with another device, especially when your homekit installation grows and you configure scenes and such.

It's -really- nice to not have to interface with lamps and switches and locks and thermostats manually, versus blurting out for siri to initiate a scene or automation that controls/coordinates multiple devices at the same time.

If you were truly worried about apple recording your voice or spying on yout conversation, I would get a wires Apple TV to act as your homekit hub.

By the way, You should be able to use Homekit devices from your iphone without a hub while at home. The hub just enables advanced functionality and the ability to remotely access Home.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
I think I'll go with 2 homepod minis in a stereo pair.
I was searching for some simple speakers, regardless, and I have been told these things sound better than one might expect.

Unless you have a static listening position, I've found using a second/third/forth Mini placed in another room/zone is more functional/useable since you can play to all speakers at once, or either speaker can play something different in a completely different area in the home. This brings you more voice coverage around your home too, if you opt for voice control of homekit. I can say hey siri -start automation- from anywhere in the living space.

While youre at it, if you already have a sound system with an AUX or Optical input, you could add an airport express gen 2 for airplay audio and sync all of the speakers.

Lots of options!

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Unless you have a static listening position, I've found using a second/third/forth Mini placed in another room/zone is more functional/useable since you can play to all speakers at once, or either speaker can play something different in a completely different area in the home. This brings you more voice coverage around your home too, if you opt for voice control of homekit. I can say hey siri -start automation- from anywhere in the living space.

While youre at it, if you already have a sound system with an AUX or Optical input, you could add an airport express gen 2 for airplay audio and sync all of the speakers.

Lots of options!
I think I'll go with the homepods.
But before that, I'll wait and see what the new iPads will bring to the table, as I might get a new mini (if it is announced)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.