Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Considering getting two Apple Watches for partner and myself and trying Fitness +. At the moment we use all sorts of random indoor workout videos and have a room setup with a large TV and mats just for it. Made sense for us as we both started WFH permanently recently.

Only thing missing is a really good workout series to follow or something more immersive that tracks your metrics while you workout as something like Zwift would. I see Fitness+ does it but not sure how that works or if it would even work on our TV. Do you need physical Apple TV for the HR to pop, or is the Apple TV app enough for Fitness +?

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Yes, you need an Apple TV to connect your Apple Watches to the Fitness+ programs. If you have an iPhone or iPad you can do Fitness+ on them, but might be a bit difficult with two people watching. And to use Airplay from your Apple iPhone/iPad to your TV you still need an Apple TV connected to "receive" the AirPlay signal. I don't believe there are any TVs that will receive Airplay directly.
The Apple TV app on a Mac or iOS device is made to play movies, etc and the Fitness+ on that device, but it won't sent it directly to a regular TV (at least I am pretty sure that no Smart TV can receive Airplay at this point).

Reactions: TJ82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.