Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirThanksalot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Hello there,

I'm currently looking for a new monitor for my MBP16". While searching, I noticed that some monitors (well, one actually, the Philips 499P9H/00) have an Ethernet port on the back to connect to. So you could connect the monitor through the Thunderbolt 3 port on the back and then connect everything else to the monitor. Since I am using a USB-C hub to connect all my stuff this would be a nice alternative to having a ton of cables running to the hub and then connecting another display.

However, the Philips only has a maximum of 60W power delivery, which is far less than the MacBook's own 96W power adapter. I could only find one monitor (LG 34WK95U) that has a power delivery of up to 85W, but it doesn't have any additional ports on the back except some USB ports. So here is my question. Can I connect a small USB-C Hub (with USB and Ethernet) to the MacBook, then connect the Monitor with Power delivery through it, essentially only running one Thunderbolt 3 cable (with the hub in between) from the MBP to the monitor?

Regards

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
You plug the LCD panel with a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C cable directly to the MBP - this powers the laptop and connects the LCD for use with the MBP. Then you plug your USB-hub into the back of the LCD. Ultimately, this is the best way as you only have to plug/un-plug one cable from the MBP when you take it on the go.

You could also do what you want, plugging the USB Hub directly into the MPB, then plug the hub into the LCD panel... but unless the USB-hub offers pass-through power at 96W, it won't power the laptop and you'll likely be draining the battery quite fast with an LCD panel and ethernet hooked up to it.

The only real (realistically affordable) options are the two LG Ultrafine LCDs that Apple sells on their site. There probably are other LCDs out there that offer 96W of pass-through power Thunderbolt 3/USB-C, but I'm not aware of any at 27" or larger.

SirThanksalot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
So basically I would connect the MBP to the display with Thunderbolt (1st connection) and then connect the hub directly to the LCD (2nd connection)? So basically the hub and the MBP aren't directly connected, right?

The second solution sound more doable to me. So basically I would need a hub, that can do 96W pass-through, right? In that case I would go MBP → Hub (with pass-though on Thunderbolt) → Monitor? I am just wondering about the type of port I would need to connect it to. I saw a lot of adapters that have the USB-C port designated as the power port. If I plug the screen into the USB-C port and then the hub into the MBP, will I still get the monitor to display something? Kind of feels like it would only pass through power and no data.

As for the monitor, the LG 34WK95U-W provides 85W. So I would connect the monitor to the MPB through a hub. Although, thinking about it now, I realised that I could also get a USB-Type A hub and just connect it to the back of the monitor like you said...

There is really a lack of ultra-wide monitors with a good resolution that could double as a dock, providing power and all...

Last edited:

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
You need to be careful - not all "USB-C hubs" will support the display protocol. What you really need is a Thunderbolt 3 hub, and be aware that if the monitor is expected to power the hub and the computer the computer won't get the full 85W of charging.

SirThanksalot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
You need to be careful - not all "USB-C hubs" will support the display protocol. What you really need is a Thunderbolt 3 hub, and be aware that if the monitor is expected to power the hub and the computer the computer won't get the full 85W of charging.

I see, that does make sense. I think a lot of them just have the USB-C connector, but no Thunderbolt 3. So the only option in that regard is something like the Samsung C34J791WTN that can pass through 100W. But as long as the hub can't pass the 100W through as well, it makes no sense passing it through the hub... I think I get the big picture now.

In that case, I think I'd need to stick to a display that I can use without a hub, so one that has an Ethernet port on the back (good luck finding one of those, right...) or I'll just use the dock I already have and connect the monitor through Thunderbolt or DP. Is there a more elegant solution that I am missing? Like a 5120x1440 Ultra-wide with Thunderbolt 3, 100W power pass-through and an Ethernet-port on the back? ?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
So basically I would connect the MBP to the display with Thunderbolt (1st connection) and then connect the hub directly to the LCD (2nd connection)? So basically the hub and the MBP aren't directly connected, right?

That is correct. This is the best option.

The second solution sound more doable to me.
Actually, the second option is much more complicated... and completely unnecessary. But it will work, as long as you have a Thunderbolt 3 hub as Hallux mentioned above.

Really, it all hinges on the monitor. If you go the cheap route, you'll end up spending more in the end with all the different hubs and cables, and it still won't look or work as well as just getting the LG Ultrafine (and you'll be missing out on the webcam if that matters to you).

My advice: Stop trying to "save money" by buying underpowered, lower resolution monitors that could require all manner of new cables and/or hubs. Spend the extra money on the UltraFine and it pays off in the long run, both in dollars and in complexity.

SirThanksalot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Yeah, that's what I figured. I basically wanted to go with a monitor that can deliver enough power to the MBP16 and just have everything connected to it, so that I could have a fairly clean desk in terms of cables.

For now I am not even trying to save money... I have looked through all the available 5120x1440 monitors (of which there are 7 or 6), two of which deliver power of more than 60W as well as monitors with 3840x1600 (of which there are more, but virtually not one that can deliver more than 60W, except for the LG 38WN95C). So I am indeed running out of options. So it's a problem of finding a monitor that can power the MBP through USB-C rather than finding a cheap one...

tdbrown75

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Dallas, TX
Check out Dell. They have a line of USB-C monitors that charge to 90W (close enough) and have integrated USB hubs. I'm running a 32" 4K model. A friend has the 49" model and loves it as well.

Dell U3219Q) UltraSharp 32-Inch (3840x2160) LED-Lit 4K Monitor
Dell U4919DW UltraSharp 49 Inch (5120 x 1440) 5K QHD Curved Monitor

The USB ports do great with Webcams, mouse dongles, and other accessories making it a really neat solution. Works perfect with my 16" and no kernel panics like w/ other setups.

Tim

SirThanksalot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Yes, I was actually considering going for the Dell, but I was still hesitant, since they don't have HDR, but cost as much as the LG and the Phillips. Well, I guess you can't have everything... Thanks for the info, though! Good to know, that the Dell can power the MacBook without problems. A good thing in favor of the Dell.

I also saw the 49" from Samsung with their crazy 144Hz and over the top HDR, but it's a mystery to me why they don't have a Thunderbolt port on the back, especially since they have 2 HDMI ports instead and you just can't run the monitor with those at 144Hz. ?‍♂️ Well, I guess I'm not the target group for Samsung.

Reactions: tdbrown75

tdbrown75

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Dallas, TX
Yes, I was actually considering going for the Dell, but I was still hesitant, since they don't have HDR, but cost as much as the LG and the Phillips. Well, I guess you can't have everything... Thanks for the info, though! Good to know, that the Dell can power the MacBook without problems. A good thing in favor of the Dell.

I also saw the 49" from Samsung with their crazy 144Hz and over the top HDR, but it's a mystery to me why they don't have a Thunderbolt port on the back, especially since they have 2 HDMI ports instead and you just can't run the monitor with those at 144Hz. ?‍♂️ Well, I guess I'm not the target group for Samsung.

good luck with whatever you decide! Agree there’s no perfect solution out there right now, each option has its own compromises.

Tim

SirThanksalot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
good luck with whatever you decide! Agree there’s no perfect solution out there right now, each option has its own compromises.

Tim

Thanks, appreciate the input!

So am I right to assume, that the USB Ports on the back of the monitor are automatically ’attached’ to whatever is connected to the Thunderbolt port? Meaning, I don’t have to connect the USB hub by another cable to the Mac?

tdbrown75

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Dallas, TX
Thanks, appreciate the input!

So am I right to assume, that the USB Ports on the back of the monitor are automatically ’attached’ to whatever is connected to the Thunderbolt port? Meaning, I don’t have to connect the USB hub by another cable to the Mac?

Sort of... There's a USB-C cable that carries 90W power, 4K video, audio, and data. It's not actually Thunderbolt 3. The monitor has 4 USB-A ports that are also connected via the single USB-C cable, so yes, there's an integrated hub. One thing to know is that because it's not Thunderbolt 3, the data transfer rates are limited to USB2. So it's perfect for web cams, mouse dongles, and other accessories, but not ideal for hard drives. I attach my external drive via a second USB-C cable. If I had more than one external drive, or needed Ethernet, then I'd go for a TB3 dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.