Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I have Safari 13.1.2 but just saw that the last version is 16-something.

I couldn't find a way to install this last version. I guess it's not possible, right?

The browser is very buggy. A good amount of sites don't work properly anymore, iCloud Tabs haven't worked for years. I think I have to changer browser. I can't update higher than High Sierra anymore (except potentially Mojave).

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Yeah, old versions of Safari don't display most web pages properly, or at all. And unfortunately, you can't install Safari 16 (at least to my knowledge) on High Sierra.

Have you considered using Google Chrome instead? The latest version of Chrome works fine on High Sierra (although that's the minimum requirement to run it).

Also, what Mac are you using? Why can't you upgrade past High Sierra?

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Yeah, old versions of Safari don't display most web pages properly, or at all. And unfortunately, you can't install Safari 16 (at least to my knowledge) on High Sierra.

Have you considered using Google Chrome instead? The latest version of Chrome works fine on High Sierra (although that's the minimum requirement to run it).

Also, what Mac are you using? Why can't you upgrade past High Sierra?

Yeah, I'm thinking of moving to Chrome. When a website is broken in Safari, I would usually open it in Chrome and then it would work.

I can't update anymore because my Mac is too old, it's a mid 2010 Mac Pro. I have a GPU that would actually allow me to upgrade to Mojave, but that's a bit of a sketchy thing, and in addition to that, it doesn't make a big difference, because Mojave is outdated as well.

Will have to get myself a new Mac sometimes.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Yeah, I'm thinking of moving to Chrome. When a website is broken in Safari, I would usually open it in Chrome and then it would work.

I can't update anymore because my Mac is too old, it's a mid 2010 Mac Pro. I have a GPU that would actually allow me to upgrade to Mojave, but that's a bit of a sketchy thing, and in addition to that, it doesn't make a big difference, because Mojave is outdated as well.

Will have to get myself a new Mac sometimes.
Why would the upgrade to Mojave be "sketchy?" And what GPU is this? Also, have you considered using OpenCore Legacy Patcher?

I used to run a 2010 Mac Pro as my main computer until very recently, and I was able to install Monterey (second-latest macOS version) just fine on it. It had a W5500 video card. The only reason why I stopped using it as my main computer is because the CPU was too slow (and hence I had issues with Logic Pro and just altogether slowness); the GPU was plenty fast.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Why would the upgrade to Mojave be "sketchy?" And what GPU is this? Also, have you considered using OpenCore Legacy Patcher?

I used to run a 2010 Mac Pro as my main computer until very recently, and I was able to install Monterey (second-latest macOS version) just fine on it. It had a W5500 video card. The only reason why I stopped using it as my main computer is because the CPU was too slow (and hence I had issues with Logic Pro and just altogether slowness); the GPU was plenty fast.

Because Mojave is like semi-supported on that Mac. I have a RX 580, but you lose the boot mode function and other stuff. If you have a problem and don't have a native card, it sucks.

I haven't used Legacy Patcher, but I want to stay on the "official" Apple way. It's too complicated for me (I'm a noob, like, totally) and I know it's more expensive to do it the Apple way, but I don't have to think about it (I hate thinking about anything Computers – they're not a purpose in my eyes but just the means for a higher purpose).

I imagine you had to make quite some mods to run Monterey on yours.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I have a RX 580, but you lose the boot mode function and other stuff. If you have a problem and don't have a native card, it sucks.
Right, that's why I've kept my original Mac-flashed video card (ATI Radeon HD 5770)
I haven't used Legacy Patcher, but I want to stay on the "official" Apple way. It's too complicated for me (I'm a noob, like, totally) and I know it's more expensive to do it the Apple way, but I don't have to think about it (I hate thinking about anything Computers – they're not a purpose in my eyes but just the means for a higher purpose).
That's your choice... of course I recommend you try out OCLP, but if you don't want to, you will be stuck on those older macOS releases.
I imagine you had to make quite some mods to run Monterey on yours.
Actually not. OpenCore does all the modifications for you.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Right, that's why I've kept my original Mac-flashed video card (ATI Radeon HD 5770)

That's your choice... of course I recommend you try out OCLP, but if you don't want to, you will be stuck on those older macOS releases.

Actually not. OpenCore does all the modifications for you.

You install OpenCore and that's it? Then you proceed to just install a newer OS? What about security measures, data privacy?

Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
You install OpenCore and that's it? Then you proceed to just install a newer OS? What about security measures, data privacy?
Pretty much!! You get the same security updates (with the exception of Rapid Security Responses) on an OpenCore'd Mac.

I even made this for another forum member about running Monterey on a 5,1 Mac Pro, if you're interested, take a look!

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Pretty much!! You get the same security updates (with the exception of Rapid Security Responses) on an OpenCore'd Mac.

I even made this for another forum member about running Monterey on a 5,1 Mac Pro, if you're interested, take a look!

Interesting. How "official" is this? Is it comparable to let's say a jailbroken iOS device? How "nasty" is it basically?

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
It's not bad at all, and I'm not just saying that. OCLP works all the way all the time, and there's not really any "catch" to it AFAIK.

I looked a little bit into your video and also in other threads here on MacRumors, and it does look complicated to be honest (at least if you really want to know what's happening and have a good overview of that).

In addition, my Mac is old and consumes a lot of power, I think it's better if I sell it and get a clean solution. In the short term, it would have been great if I could have installed a newer version of Safari, but I guess that's not really possible.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I looked a little bit into your video and also in other threads here on MacRumors, and it does look complicated to be honest (at least if you really want to know what's happening and have a good overview of that).

In addition, my Mac is old and consumes a lot of power, I think it's better if I sell it and get a clean solution. In the short term, it would have been great if I could have installed a newer version of Safari, but I guess that's not really possible.
To me, it doesn't seem that complicated, but I also like doing this kinda stuff, so...

Well power consumption is another thing. I ran a 5,1 Mac Pro for a few months as my main computer, and it was annoying as heck to have it under the desk, and it'd push out quite a bit of hot air, too, so I totally see what you're saying. You might then just want to hold off and find something newer, maybe like an M1/M2 Mac mini, or something like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.