Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I think -do your research first- most generic Bluetooth mice work with the iPhone, unlike Apple’s ones. I’m not sure if this is still true on iOS 16/17 tho.
I’ve been using multiple different Bluetooth mice for years with the iPhone. The Magic Mouse doesn’t work, even on the latest version of iOS.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Since I have iPads, Surfaces, Wacoms and Thinkpad Yogas, I now have over a dozen pens that I can readily pick up which don't write on actual paper. Like, not at all. What is up with that, is it too much to ask? Should I return these pens?
Yes. Return the pens AND the paper. Use a stick, leaf, and mud for writing. Think of how much money you would have saved over the years! 🤪

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I'm not even sure how one can be so delighted about being ripped off by another. Self-doubts?

You'd expect these items to work together (= be integrated together) when they come from the same company. It's a basic feature and integration is a common strategy in business, even amongst the cheapest players as many prove it.

Obviously functionality isn't a desired feature here. Design (superficiality) and brand psychology (self-identity) seem to be attributed a higher importance here (which would be irrational for my purposes).

The OP has posted two consecutive forum threads. This one is about being surprised that Apple Pencil doesn’t work with iPhone (this has been the case since the introduction of the Apple Pencil…and in the other thread they say they’ve been using Apple products for 25 years, so they seem seasoned, hmm). The other one is a rant about how iCloud is unreliable and they lost work, and Apple is low quality trash, etc etc.

I mean, these two threads could be legit. But, and I think this is the more likely case, these two threads could be exactly what we think they are. Just bait. Come on, ya’ll.

Why would someone do this? Anyone who'd do that has absolutely no life. My problem is the exact opposite: I have too much life to be spending it with resolving problems caused by presumable "superior" or "advanced" technology having lost my data. I absolutely do not want to spend any time with it, because I regard it as an absolute waste of time.

Just look at all the people discussing all these micro-features of their devices. Then look up in the stars, deep inside the universe, and realise how ridiculous and what a waste of time it is.

These things should work on help us achieve higher goals. They should be the means for higher purposes, not a purpose on their own. That would be very primitive if it was the case (and it sadly is).

So no, not trolling, just super mad because the technology doesn't disappear in the background, but actually makes my life more complicated and keeps putting itself in the foreground. Stupid attention-deficited tech companies!

Last edited:

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Yes. Return the pens AND the paper. Use a stick, leaf, and mud for writing. Think of how much money you would have saved over the years! 🤪
I was going to reply to this but I got a bit worried about what a dark alley I was heading down, even though it would be only slightly more deranged than the OP...

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012

It's not about money for me, but about rationalism and efficiency. Which the Apple pen does not have. If you're directed at the future (like I believe I am), you don't find the Apple Pencil great just because the alternative would be mud and leaves. But rather, you consider the Apple Pencil as self-evident just like you consider toilet paper self-evident, and you want to push towards the future and see innovations happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.