Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supergaia

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
italy
hi

maight you please tell me when you start to imac ,macbook and you leave idle for 10 or 15 minutes the ammount of MB or GB via activity monitor please?

thanks

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I started up my Hackintosh, which is built pretty much exactly like a 2014 iMac, and let it idle for 15 minutes. I don't have much installed, nothing that does any major disk reading. Upon boot, it immediately says that 1.66GB has been read, so by the end there hasn't been much read or written beyond that initial boot up.

Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 8.15.45 PM.jpeg

Reactions: supergaia

supergaia

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
italy
I started up my Hackintosh, which is built pretty much exactly like a 2014 iMac, and let it idle for 15 minutes. I don't have much installed, nothing that does any major disk reading. Upon boot, it immediately says that 1.66GB has been read, so by the end there hasn't been much read or written beyond that initial boot up.

View attachment 840177
hi
thanks i own an imac and well it write a lot of more about 350mb
if i import audio files or read ntfs volume it starts to write a lot
thanks , appreciate it

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
hi
thanks i own an imac and well it write a lot of more about 350mb
if i import audio files or read ntfs volume it starts to write a lot
thanks , appreciate it
You’re welcome!

I don’t think 350MB is anything to worry about, it’s going to depend on what applications you have, how much iCloud data you’re syncing (like if you get a lot of messages, emails, if you have iCloud photos enabled) so that seems pretty reasonable to me.

supergaia

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
italy
You’re welcome!

I don’t think 350MB is anything to worry about, it’s going to depend on what applications you have, how much iCloud data you’re syncing (like if you get a lot of messages, emails, if you have iCloud photos enabled) so that seems pretty reasonable to me.
hi
may I know which os do you run?
sierra or high sierra ?
thanks

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
hi
don't you think that installing macos on a different hardware
could damage it?
thanks

Could running macOS on a non-Mac hardware damage the hardware? No - not really; I’ve been running mine for over 3 years now with little issue.

It is against Apple’s Terms of Service, so it’s not strictly proper or legal, but then Apple hasn’t never gone after anyone for using a Hackintosh.

It’s definitely not for the feint of heart - it’s a good bit of work setting one up and there’s always the risk that something may not work as expected that could result in a buggy system or worse, data loss.

supergaia

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
italy
Could running macOS on a non-Mac hardware damage the hardware? No - not really; I’ve been running mine for over 3 years now with little issue.

It is against Apple’s Terms of Service, so it’s not strictly proper or legal, but then Apple hasn’t never gone after anyone for using a Hackintosh.

It’s definitely not for the feint of heart - it’s a good bit of work setting one up and there’s always the risk that something may not work as expected that could result in a buggy system or worse, data loss.
hi
i'm using an imac ,and i'm thinking to buy a macbook pro (just i'm waitining because it's no cheap :( )
may i know which are you issue?
thanks

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
hi
i'm using an imac ,and i'm thinking to buy a macbook pro (just i'm waitining because it's no cheap :( )
may i know which are you issue?
thanks

Issues in my hackintosh? Mostly things like sleeping, power management, nitty gritty stuff that could be fixed but requires sitting down and creating special configuration files to fix.

I do also have a 2013 MacBook Air that I use often for lightweight usage like creating documents and browsing :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.