Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Propine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
I use my phone for work too, mostly to stay on top of my schedule, but I am having hard time with notifications from calendar when I am on vacation or in a different time zone. I am thinking about a separate calendar app for work only, ideally one that could also be aware of those things (worst case scenario I will bind it to one of my iOS focus modes). Can you recommend something?

xerxers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
I use my phone for work too, mostly to stay on top of my schedule, but I am having hard time with notifications from calendar when I am on vacation or in a different time zone. I am thinking about a separate calendar app for work only, ideally one that could also be aware of those things (worst case scenario I will bind it to one of my iOS focus modes). Can you recommend something?
I would like to suggest pocket Informant. I have used it for years and has fulfilled my needs for a great task manager and diary

Reactions: max2

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015

xerxers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Stupid question does it have it own sync service or must I use Google ?
It has its own sync service across all iOS devices. You can color code events, calendar etc do that even if you use it for work you can use one set of colors and then if you decide you want to use it for private differentiate by using different colors. Really co ol

xerxers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
It has its own sync service across all iOS devices. You can color code events, calendar etc do that even if you use it for work you can use one set of colors and then if you decide you want to use it for private differentiate by using different colors. Really co ol
Should have added that the sync service is an annual purchase

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Yeah, timezones are handled poorly by Apple despite being fully supported by the iCal format.

I can create "floating" times when using Calendar on my laptop, and they work on the phone, but one can't create floating events on the phone.

I can create events with differing timezones for the start and end times on my phone (useful for flights) but that can't be done on the laptop.

The above bugs have been there for years and Apple doesn't seem interested in anything but superficial changes to their own apps, unfortunately. It does help support third-party devs though!

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
@xerxers most important question does it update instantaneously across all apps no matter the device ? My current calendar app does but still looking for better all the time. Just to have a backup if my current app fails or stops being updated.

Hmm looks like support has been going downhill for it and some things stopped working :(

Maybe it is user error but idk.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
By the way about Fantastical I still like it but once it went to version 4 with subscription that was it. I paid for 3 and yes can still use version 3. The thing is they should have a lifetime purchase for version 4 too. Even if a lot.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Fantastical. I've used it since it was released on the App Store years ago and it just keeps getting better.
The fact that Fantastical is a subscription to manage MY calendar of events (which are synched via iCloud and not fantastical's servers) makes it an absolute non-starter for me.

We are using Calendar366 which is quite good, and works across the iOS, iPadOS and macOS platforms. Also, NO SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED. There is not even a subscription option.

Rich B22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
The fact that Fantastical is a subscription to manage MY calendar of events (which are synched via iCloud and not fantastical's servers) makes it an absolute non-starter for me.

We are using Calendar366 which is quite good, and works across the iOS, iPadOS and macOS platforms. Also, NO SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED. There is not even a subscription option.
I just downloaded Calendar 366 and it seems good, however, I don't see anyway to have custom alerts, in other words to set an interval different from the baked in ones. Also, do the alerts have a nag feature that will keep going off every minute until I dismiss it?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I just downloaded Calendar 366 and it seems good, however, I don't see anyway to have custom alerts, in other words to set an interval different from the baked in ones. Also, do the alerts have a nag feature that will keep going off every minute until I dismiss it?
I don't often use alerts on anything... but when I do, and when I need multiple alerts, I just add an additional alert... I think you get an option to SNOOZE the alert from iOS.

Edit: I just tested this, and it appears that the SNOOZE option does repeat the alert.

Last edited:

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
To keep work and personal separate, I use the Outlook app for work (Calendar and Email), and then the built in iOS Mail and Calendar for personal.

I also have the same setup on my Mac Mini. So, it seems to work well for me. I simply do not open the Outlook app if I am off/the weekend...

Birdsoft

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
Ulti-Planner Calendar.

I think we've gotten to the point where we've passed Fantastical and Informant to be the top Calendar for iPhone in 2024. Give it a try, and you might be pleasantly surprised. And it is much more affordable for premium features than the old guard as well, but is designed so you can use a lot of the features FREE without being overly hounded to upgrade.

Use the app's smart filters and you can basically filter between work and home with one tap. You can include different calendars and reminder lists for work or home.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Ulti-Planner Calendar.

I think we've gotten to the point where we've passed Fantastical and Informant to be the top Calendar for iPhone in 2024. Give it a try, and you might be pleasantly surprised. And it is much more affordable for premium features than the old guard as well, but is designed so you can use a lot of the features FREE without being overly hounded to upgrade.

Use the app's smart filters and you can basically filter between work and home with one tap. You can include different calendars and reminder lists for work or home.
What does the "premium lifetime" mean? Seen this kind of crap before... and as soon as the developer wants to up their take, the "lifetime" is suddenly "over"... TBH, I've seen so much shenanigans that I simply cannot trust the developers with this kind of "offer".

Also, do you have a macOS version? Don't see one... that's a showstopper for me.

Last edited:

Birdsoft

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
Well, our other calendar app is still available and updated, and came out in 2010, so the "Lifetime" purchase on that app was 14 years so far...

Mac app should be out later this year. But we only use Apple Calendar and Reminder data, and don't force you to sync your important data to us in order to be able to use it, so all of the info from Ulti-Planner will be synced by Apple and visible in their(and other 3rd party) Mac apps.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Ulti-Planner Calendar.

What about Android ? Sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.