Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
I have my MacBook Pro set up to run dual display on OSX btu when I go into Windows I can only view one monitor. When Windows boots up I see two start-up screens and when Windows is running I can move my mouse into the second display but no image. I went through the really helpful Windows diagnostic tool and it said that my monitor was dead. Yeah thanks for the help Microsoft!

Any ideas anyone?

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
I tried exactly this back in Bootcamp v1.0 without any luck on my MacBook Pro. As far as I'm aware, this hasn't been addressed in the later v1.1 of Bootcamp. Unless someone around here can offer more, it might be worth checking out the Bootcamp forums at http://www.onmac.net/ since they're pretty hard-core with the BC tweaking!

kaeptn

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2006
Vienna, Austria
R.Youden said:
I have my MacBook Pro set up to run dual display on OSX btu when I go into Windows I can only view one monitor. When Windows boots up I see two start-up screens and when Windows is running I can move my mouse into the second display but no image. I went through the really helpful Windows diagnostic tool and it said that my monitor was dead. Yeah thanks for the help Microsoft!

Any ideas anyone?

Hi, I don't know if I understood you correctly, but try this (I have a similar problem):
On the windows desktop press the "right" mouse button -> Properties. Go to "settings" and change the resolution (just move the bar one point right, then back again). Then the "Apply" button should be active. Press apply.
Then the second screen works.
BTW: do you have enabled the "extend windows desktop" checkbox? Do you see two display graphics in the Settings tab?

Bye,
Fritz

jsfpa

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
I don't know about the Macbook Pro, but I can run dual monitors under Windows on my iMac.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I ran dual monitors on my MBP. Never tried on my MB but i'm sure it's possible. Just read up on the windows sites as to how to turn on dual monitors. Just because it isn't initially obvious doesn't mean it can't be done.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
I might just have to give this another try when I get home, then!

I run my work PC laptop with screen spanning, so I've got no excuse for not being able to set it up. Perhaps I just wasn't paying enough attention last time around :)

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
displaced said:
I run my work PC laptop with screen spanning

Try to get actual dual screen working. It's a lot better than screen spanning. Your task bar won't be running across both screens and when you maximise windows they will only maximise to the screen they are on. Very useful when you want to watch a movie in full screen on the second monitor while you do something on the first. Like check email and macrumors :)

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
TBi said:
Try to get actual dual screen working. It's a lot better than screen spanning. Your task bar won't be running across both screens and when you maximise windows they will only maximise to the screen they are on. Very useful when you want to watch a movie in full screen on the second monitor while you do something on the first. Like check email and macrumors :)

I think I've misused my terminology there -- that's exactly the setup I have. A main screen (the laptop panel) with taskbar and a 23" widescreen LCD with an acre of wide-open desktop. Visual Studio 2005 lives on the widescreen, and email (and MacRumors!) lives on the laptop LCD. It's a good boss-avoidance strategy to leave the VS2005 screen chock-full of code (remember to scroll around a bit occasionally so he doesn't get wise!), whilst reading MR!

2ndPath

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
I also managed to use dual displays on my MacBook Pro on Windows. What did not work, was using the external display only, while the laptop was closed. This works fine on OS X but on Windows the machine always goes to sleep, when closing the display and cannot be awakened without opening it. Did anyone experience the same?

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
displaced said:
I think I've misused my terminology there -- that's exactly the setup I have. A main screen (the laptop panel) with taskbar and a 23" widescreen LCD with an acre of wide-open desktop. Visual Studio 2005 lives on the widescreen, and email (and MacRumors!) lives on the laptop LCD. It's a good boss-avoidance strategy to leave the VS2005 screen chock-full of code (remember to scroll around a bit occasionally so he doesn't get wise!), whilst reading MR!

No worries, just so many people just use screen spanning when they could be doing what you are doing which is way better.

2ndPath said:
I also managed to use dual displays on my MacBook Pro on Windows. What did not work, was using the external display only, while the laptop was closed. This works fine on OS X but on Windows the machine always goes to sleep, when closing the display and cannot be awakened without opening it. Did anyone experience the same?

I could close my MBP and use it in clamshell mode however the internal screen wouldn't turn off like it does in OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.