Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I'm trying to find a way to have the system volume and apple music volume be the same. What I mean is if I set system volume to 50%, Apple music volume is also at 50% and so on.

The reason for this is I'm listening to music and use the touch bar or menu bar to change the volume, it only changes system volume and Apple Music app's volume remains unchanged.

I need the system volume controls on the touchpad/menu bar to change Apple Music's volume, or for the two volumes to stay in sync 100%.

I don't know how to achieve either. But I want an easy way to control the music app's volume, and the above seems to be the easiest.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I’m confused. The Music’s app’s volume is relative to system volume, so if you set system volume to 50% *and* Music’s volume to 50%, the music volume will effectively be 25% of full. What is it you want to achieve by adjusting both at the same time that you don’t get from just adjusting system volume? Adjusting both simultaneously will only give a more inconsistent experience where the lower the volume of the system, the louder other sounds are relative to music

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Regardless there’s no perfect solution if you want it to work with Touch Bar’s controls. May be possible to set up a macro for F keys or any other key combo that runs an AppleScript or something to do it but it’s hardly ideal either

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I’m confused. The Music’s app’s volume is relative to system volume, so if you set system volume to 50% *and* Music’s volume to 50%, the music volume will effectively be 25% of full. What is it you want to achieve by adjusting both at the same time that you don’t get from just adjusting system volume? Adjusting both simultaneously will only give a more inconsistent experience where the lower the volume of the system, the louder other sounds are relative to music
Ideally, I just want to adjust the music volume with keyboard media keys, and adjust system volume with the system volume slider.

That way, system sounds will stay at constant volume I set it to, while music volume, which I need to change often, can conveniently changed with easily accessible media keys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.