Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2002
New England
can an mid 2015 27"iMac 5K with a 1 TB hard drive be upgraded with a an SSD drive? If yes, anyone have a link for instructions on how todo it or a place that does?

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Yes, check ifixit. If you have not purchased the iMac yet, purchase it with the apple SSD. They have two slots for drives, one is the standard SATA slot and the secondary is proprietary and is designed with double the IO lanes for it which allows the drive to achieve much higher speeds than what you can with a retail drive. That being said, if you can find a retail drive that is compatible with Apple's port, then go that route. It's easier to upgrade it using the regular SATA port, though.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2002
New England
Yes, check ifixit. If you have not purchased the iMac yet, purchase it with the apple SSD. They have two slots for drives, one is the standard SATA slot and the secondary is proprietary and is designed with double the IO lanes for it which allows the drive to achieve much higher speeds than what you can with a retail drive. That being said, if you can find a retail drive that is compatible with Apple's port, then go that route. It's easier to upgrade it using the regular SATA port, though.

after watching some youtube videos, I'm thinking running OS X off an external SSD might be the best idea,. that way i don't have to mess around prying the thing open

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
after watching some youtube videos, I'm thinking running OS X off an external SSD might be the best idea,. that way i don't have to mess around prying the thing open

With USB 3 and Thunderbolt, that should be the safest. You can always ask the apple store to do the upgrade, you just bring the drive in.

swamyg1

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
What SSD would you purchase to boot from? Any recommendations? I'm looking to do the same thing.

Last edited:

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
I'm planning on the built in Apple version for the performance. My 2011 macbook pro has an SSD, but because it is not designed for it, it is not as fast as it could be...but it is fast. Since you're likely coming from a machine that did not have it, just hunt one down with a good internal power loss protection design. Crucial has a partial power-loss protection design.

If you wonder why I point that out, if you are unlucky enough to lose power to an SSD at just the right moment, it will disappear. OCZ had that problem and people didn't know about it. The drive will repair itself, but takes about 12 hrs of being powered on to do so. I had one of those OCZ drives and ran into that problem twice but recovered both times.

hpucker99

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2009
can an mid 2015 27"iMac 5K with a 1 TB hard drive be upgraded with a an SSD drive? If yes, anyone have a link for instructions on how todo it or a place that does?
Also, OWC has instructional videos on how to swap the hard drives yourself. If this operation seems to be beyond your comfort level, you can take it to an Apple store or independent dealer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.