Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Are you allowed to use Apple and iPad, iPhone, MacBook etc names, and model numbers in an app that you write for iOS?

Also can you use pictures and/or icons as well within the app?

Not sure on the legal jargon if allowed or not?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
*I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. Get a lawyer if you really need legal advice.*

As far as I know, you're always permitted to use their trademarks in referencing them and their products, but never allowed to use their trademarks to brand your own stuff.
As long as the use of the brand names is in reference to what it is trademarked to it should be fine

Reactions: max2

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
*I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. Get a lawyer if you really need legal advice.*

As far as I know, you're always permitted to use their trademarks in referencing them and their products, but never allowed to use their trademarks to brand your own stuff.
As long as the use of the brand names is in reference to what it is trademarked to it should be fine

Thanks, I thought that, as looking on App Store seems a lot of references, and I can’t imagine that they’d get through the admission step if it wasn’t allowed. Presume they would be rejected and explained the reason for trademark violation or something.

Nygaard

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2022
Houston
For posterity, when you sign up with Apple, you are required sign the Apple Developer Program License Agreement. That document plus a lawyer should grant you some peace of mind. There's also the Marketing Resources and Identity Guidelines for how to correctly use Apple material when marketing your product.

Thanks, I thought that, as looking on App Store seems a lot of references, and I can’t imagine that they’d get through the admission step if it wasn’t allowed. Presume they would be rejected and explained the reason for trademark violation or something.
The submission process isn't as airtight as you might think. They catch most blatant offenders most of the time, but I highly doubt they are expert lawyers that go over everything with a fine-tooth comb.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I won’t be getting a lawyer, not for what I want to maybe do. I would expect them to just reject if something isn’t ok.

I understand what you mean, some things get through though.

Are you allowed to use pictures of Apple devices as well?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Are you allowed to use pictures of Apple devices as well?
What do you want to use them for? I think that would matter here.
But regardless, there's a wide selection of icons of Apple things provided by Apple for development use with SF Symbols (small selection can be seen here)
1673909291574.png

So something in that style at least should be fine.

Reactions: max2

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
What do you want to use them for? I think that would matter here.
But regardless, there's a wide selection of icons of Apple things provided by Apple for development use with SF Symbols (small selection can be seen here)
View attachment 2143249
So something in that style at least should be fine.

Was more to show actual products, even small icons of them.

Nothing to do with selling or shopping just to show the Apple product name, and picture of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.