Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I looked for a news thread on this - Nadda.

Best Buy actually sent around a mailer listing all of the carriers (Rogers, Fido, Telus, Bell, Koodo, Virgin) all offering 10GB/$60 for BC, Alberta and Ontario this weekend only (Dec 16-18).

171216_10GB_Offer_main_en.jpg

When you look at the particulars, they say for new activations only, but if you threaten to jump ship your carrier will hook you up.

(I'm taking the opportunity to jump from Fido to Telus so I can activate the cellular in my AW3) :)

Others discussing it:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fido-fido-60-10gb-possibly-starts-dec-16-2017-2154600/12/
http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers/fido-60-plan-10gb-data-ontario/

It started as a 5GB + 5GB data for 24 months by Rogers/Fido, but then Koodo offered it permanently, so now all of the carriers have matched it.

Telus is so swamped their call centre is getting "all trunks busy" when you try to call (took me half an hour to get through).
Their internet chat was 400+ customer deep (queue), so I kept trying their 1-866 number. (now waiting 45+ minutes in queue). Not going anywhere. They're supposed to close at 8pm.

Happy hunting!!!

Edit: Condolences to the rest of the country...but a lot of you get much cheaper plans that we do. :p

Edit2: Fido's extended this to December 19th! (hopefully the others do as well) - should give people enough time to get through the swamped call centres!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Breezygirl

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Thank you, so you don’t need to go through Best Buy to get the deal? You can just call your carrier? Thanks for any information.
[doublepost=1513470261][/doublepost]Ouch, I just tried to get it with Rogers but since I just signed a new contract 3 weeks ago to get my iPhone X it’s saying I’d need to pay a $690 downgrade fee to get it.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Thank you, so you don’t need to go through Best Buy to get the deal? You can just call your carrier? Thanks for any information.
[doublepost=1513470261][/doublepost]Ouch, I just tried to get it with Rogers but since I just signed a new contract 3 weeks ago to get my iPhone X it’s saying I’d need to pay a $690 downgrade fee to get it.
Yep, it's the carriers offering this. Rogers/Fido started it by offering 5GB bonus on their 5GB plan for the weekend - but then Koodo made it permanent, so now all of the carriers are matching it. :)

A bit of fur flying initially. Telus wasn't allowing tethering/hotspot (now appears they are), but it also looks like they don't include unlimited texting. Also, several people have been told that the data can't be shared with the Apple Watch (WTF?!) - so I need to get that confirmed. If Telus pulls that crap, I'll have to go somewhere else.

(this no ETA with Rogers/FIdo on being able to provision the AW3 is pretty annoying).

But...people are also saying its much quicker walking into a Walmart or BestBuy to get setup than waiting on the phone/online with the carriers....as it appears the word is out and they're all getting swamped. :)
[doublepost=1513473351][/doublepost]Confirmation that the 10GB/$60 plan on Bell and Telus is NOT shareable data, so you can't use the bucket with your AW3.
(it's just THAT promo plan)

Telus offers a 1GB $10/month AW3 plan for it...with a $20 activation fee.

Going to talk to Rogers and Fido tomorrow....see if they're planning on making that bucket shareable with the Apple Watch or not.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I realized that I would have to pay the extra downgrade fee if i didn’t have a Premium + Tab plan selected. I was able to get the 10 GB for the same amount I was paying for 3 GB so not as good as the $60 deal but I’m pretty happy. Thank you! :)

Reactions: fischersd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.