Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If you were a Newton fan, I encourage you to take a look at the new version of Canary ( released today). It is very good and there is no subscription. It does have in app purchase for those interested. Canary has lots of features and puts Newton to shame.

Reactions: max2

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Looks good - LOTS of features you'll lose after the 30 day premium trial though!

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I originally bought the previous version for around 9.99 euro I think. I just downloaded the version 3.0 and see it's indeed a 30 day trial and then apparently I have to pay again 10.99 euro to get all Pro features because Restore purchase doesn't give any response via the app. I have no limitations at the moment to do in-app purchases so that can't be the blocker either.

I read now this in the 3.0.1 iOS App Store update description:
"Canary Mail 3.0 has been redesigned from the ground up to be faster, simpler, and more intuitive. Take advantage of the full power of iOS 13 with Siri Shortcuts, True Dark Mode, Apple Pencil Support, Context Menus, OCR Business Card Scan, and much more!

Canary Mail 3.0 Pro is free to try for 30 days. If you've already purchased a previous version of the app, you will retain access to those features that you've already paid for. You can also choose to unlock the new features after the trial ends via an in-app purchase at a special upgrade price.
"

Their official Twitter account mentioned 'half price' so would that be 10.99 euro or 5.50 euro?

I haven't seen a special upgrade price or is the 10.99 euro already a special price for the Pro v.3? I may hope not.

The settings and UI is much much better than the previous version although a few things i noticed I don't like are:

E-mail:
I'm missing an option remove the 'Today', 'Yesterday' in the 'Inbox - All'

Calendar: It looks like at first you don't have any appointments since it also shows the hours where no appointment are so 00.00 > 09.00 so I have to scroll down to see my appointments of the afternoon.

Last edited:

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
The new Canary app looks nice but notifications are not working, it wasn't working in previous version either.
i tried disabling and re-enabling notifications but still don't get new email notifications.
I have set it to Fetch not Push, which I believe other email apps (Edison, Spark) also use.
How is it working for you guys?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
The new Canary app looks nice but notifications are not working, it wasn't working in previous version either.
i tried disabling and re-enabling notifications but still don't get new email notifications.
I have set it to Fetch not Push, which I believe other email apps (Edison, Spark) also use.
How is it working for you guys?
If you want instant notifications, you have to use PUSH, which is a lot less secure, because your access credentials are stored on their servers. FETCH is much more secure, even though it is a little slower etc.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Do you know how often the app checks for new emails using Fetch? I have tested waiting for more than 5 minutes but still don't get notifications.
Do other apps (Outlook, Gmail, Spark, Edison) use Push or Fetch because they save your credentials and possibly emails on their servers?
If you want instant notifications, you have to use PUSH, which is a lot less secure, because your access credentials are stored on their servers. FETCH is much more secure, even though it is a little slower etc.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Do you know how often the app checks for new emails using Fetch? I have tested waiting for more than 5 minutes but still don't get notifications.
Do other apps (Outlook, Gmail, Spark, Edison) use Push or Fetch because they save your credentials and possibly emails on their servers?
With FETCH, contact with the mail servers is not made until the app is opened. At that point, your iOS device provides the proper credentials for mail to be accessed and downloaded to your device.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, push can be less secure that way if there’s a third party that stores the credentials, if it’s directly from the mail provider then that isn’t in play essentially. In this case with a third party involved (Canary) seems like it’s possible that credentials would be stored on their end in some fashion.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Well, push can be less secure that way if there’s a third party that stores the credentials, if it’s directly from the mail provider then that isn’t in play essentially. In this case with a third party involved (Canary) seems like it’s possible that credentials would be stored on their end in some fashion.
Unless I read their privacy policy incorrectly, Canary does not store credentials on their server, unless PUSH is used. If the user turns off PuSH, the credentials are removed. No credentials are stored on their server with FETCH or PUSH, unless the user invokes one of the pro features that requires storage to fulfill.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Doesn't Canary or Gmail use OAUTH for signing into your email, if that's the case then the 3rd party won't have access to your credentials, though they will have access to your emails stored on their servers

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Doesn't Canary or Gmail use OAUTH for signing into your email, if that's the case then the 3rd party won't have access to your credentials, though they will have access to your emails stored on their servers

pa19

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2019
does anyone know if there is a way to roll back to 2.0? I know v3 is a beta but it's missing a lot of the customization that I loved in 2.0. I don't remember explicitly upgrading -- think it happened automatically.

And 3.0 is still seems a work in progress. Still can't figure out how to resize attachment files or set a new default font size when composing. Little things for sure, but they make daily use difficult.

rodalpho

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
I evaluated Canary. It seems fine, and doesn't act as a man-in-the-middle if you don't activate push notifications unlike many other well-reviewed iOS mail apps like Spark, and that's a huge dealbreaker for me.

Unfortunately it's lacking one feature in Apple Mail I really like-- the ability to reorder mailboxes at the top of the list across multiple accounts. This means I need to scroll down to access these frequently used mailboxes, and I don't want to pay $20 to lose that convenience.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I evaluated Canary. It seems fine, and doesn't act as a man-in-the-middle if you don't activate push notifications unlike many other well-reviewed iOS mail apps like Spark, and that's a huge dealbreaker for me.

Unfortunately it's lacking one feature in Apple Mail I really like-- the ability to reorder mailboxes at the top of the list across multiple accounts. This means I need to scroll down to access these frequently used mailboxes, and I don't want to pay $20 to lose that convenience.
You can edit the order of accounts.

Settings > Accounts >Edit (top right corner). You will then see the hamburger option on each account Hold and drag accounts to the order you want them.

rodalpho

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Right, but what I'm looking for is the ability to reorder mailboxes originating from multiple accounts to the same list, so I don't need to scroll down to see them.

So in the left column, I would have:

Inbox <All accounts>
Commerce <Acct 1>
Family <Acct 2>
Coupons <Acct 3>
Mailing Lists <Acct 2>
Amazon <Acct 1>
Alerts <Acct 3>

And so on. Apple Mail can do this.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I tried Canary Mail for about 5 minutes.

- Too little error feedback. I use Rackspace Mail with exchange-compatible server. (Don't think it's actually Exchange.) They use different port numbers. Was difficult to figure out how to set up the configuration, "Advanced" alone was not enough - I needed to use "Other" rather than "Exchange". All it would tell me was "error". You do get more feedback if you choose "other" server type.

- Infuriating UI. Was plinking around, opened the calendar. NO idea how to get back to the email list once in Calendar!

- There doesn't seem to be a way to download all messages. That is my #1 requirement for a desktop email app. I want to be able to search quickly locally. It seems it just caches once you visit a folder, but unclear if it downloads all or just some.

I'm thinking I may give the latest Postbox a go again, despite my displeasure with them eliminating support for third-party plugins.
[automerge]1591201310[/automerge]

It uses OAUTH for Gmail.

OAUTH is not applicable to POP, IMAP, or Exchange.

For Gmail, correct, they don't have your credentials.

For the others, they have to if you enable push.

So, now, this makes me think, oh, Apple has my credentials? (I use Apple Mail on iOS) OK, I trust Apple more than any other third party.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.