Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I got it free with my upgrade, I cancelled it as I don’t like reoccurring subs.... now it’s asking me to sub.... huh? Every other service I’ve used allows you to use it until the initial sub is up.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Oh well, that's dumb, but the fanboys will probably find a way to defend it... even though no one else does it this way.

Reactions: robotica

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Oh well, that's dumb, but the fanboys will probably find a way to defend it... even though no one else does it this way.
What's the point of the whole "fanboy" part of that statement? Doesn't seem like anything like that has been brought up.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
I cancelled mine before the year was up too, but they warn you before you cancel that you will lose the remaining time you have. It is right there on the screen before you cancel. I thought that was a little shady too, but oh well. They don't want you to cancel and then hope you forget when it is renewed. I cancelled anyway. I have no use for AppleTV+

Reactions: unclejamaal

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

Not a fanboy and not defending Apple... however, that has always been Apple's policy AFAIK. If you cancel a trial on any of their products/services, it ends at the time of cancellation. It may not be "right", and it might be "dumb", but it's consistent.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Not to sound like a fanboy, but the term is clearly spelled out on the cancellation screen.

IMG_E7B70DD5DD1F-1.jpeg

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

Let me get this straight: You ignored the warning very clearly given before you canceled, and you think Apple are dumb and anyone defending this action must be a "fanboy"?

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
While my memory is a bit hazy I believe the 3-month Apple Music trial that I signed up with at one point had the same "early cancellation takes immediate effect" policy.

So I put in a calendar event to cancel a few days before the renewal date instead of cancelling shortly after registration.

This does not appear to be a first for Apple and it is explicitly mentioned if you actually read the fine print.

I've read enough contracts in my life where it makes sense to scan through the section headings and read certain paragraphs carefully for a free trial like this.

The Apple Card sub-forum is littered with threads with comments by people who failed to do this basic level of due diligence. Hell, I think half of the discussion participants there don't understand that they've signed a legally binding contract with Goldman Sachs, the credit card issuing bank when they click the Accept button.

Their loss.

Mavman

Suspended
Sep 15, 2020
I’m not sure I see the post of cancellation of the service until the trial is over especially since it’s a year long.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
It is right there on the screen before you cancel. I thought that was a little shady too, but oh well.

Telling you about it right before you cancel, in a manner that obviously is very visible (since you noticed it), is the exact opposite of “shady.”

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Telling you about it right before you cancel, in a manner that obviously is very visible (since you noticed it), is the exact opposite of “shady.”

Exactly. Nothing was hidden. It wasn't even in 'fine print'. It was right there in the OP's face... he went through with the cancellation and is now complaining about Apple doing exactly what they told him that they would do.

Reactions: TiggrToo

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Obviously people defending Apple for doing it this way, when no one else does. The only reason they do it is to catch you out, hoping you forget to manually cancel.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Obviously people defending Apple for doing it this way, when no one else does. The only reason they do it is to catch you out, hoping you forget to manually cancel.

I am not defending anyone for doing anything. Just trying to explain that the OP was told prior to cancelling that access would end immediately. He proceeded to cancel, ignoring the warning and now is complaining that he lost access. Words mean things.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems more like a misrepresentation and/or misunderstanding of what has been brought up.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017

Apple isn’t the only person doing this. Murdoch media own a few subscription services in Aus and they do the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.