Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I just got the Canadian deal of the year. $55 75 GB plan - $25 in Black Friday credits for about 18 months more. This means I get 75 GB for $30 CAD!
Black Friday is in Nov. how did you get such “deals” months ahead, doesn’t make sense.

Right now deals are to be had due to the sale of Shaw to Rogers came with some hefty proviso’s Rogers must adhere to - 1 of which is to sell Freedom to Quebecor and another major is to offer more competitive wireless deals and packages, and faster internet in rural areas etc.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes glad you got a deal but that doesn’t sound that great tbh.

My “unlimited” is ~£37 per month though technically it’s not unlimited as it has a fair use policy. At about 640Gb and above I think they throttle you. Having said that I think my max usage in a month has been 180Gb with an average use of about 100Gb.

I know not the right thread for this but it’s relevant.

Hey @arn we really need a wink emoji for these gotcha type of posts ;)

Thx

Reactions: joehohoho and max2

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
ok, if

I am not arguing with the you, but the idea of keeping my phone as a hotspot while trying to use "a phone as it should be used" seem ridiculous to me
No problem. I don’t think we’re arguing. I should have been clearer that by hotspot I included using a dedicated device, which is what I do. The only time I use my phone for a hotspot is when traveling.

Reactions: max2

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
The issue I have with this is you lose the ability to use connected devices in the home, such as smart home accessories, and it makes using a smart tv etc, annoying.

With cheaper home internet through Verizon here, I figured it is worth to just spend the extra $25 here and have home internet.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
The issue I have with this is you lose the ability to use connected devices in the home, such as smart home accessories, and it makes using a smart tv etc, annoying.

With cheaper home internet through Verizon here, I figured it is worth to just spend the extra $25 here and have home internet.

It's also only viable if you live alone...There are four people in my house.

Feasibility depends on the person, too; our max usage/month last year was ~600gb.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
For anyone considering this, if you’re in the US Verizon and T-Mobile offer 5G home internet plans. You get a cell router and the prices are very cheap, $30-$40 a month. As long as you’re in a good service area for either of those carriers it could be way cheaper than wired internet, and you get the throughput of a proper router.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
For anyone considering this, if you’re in the US Verizon and T-Mobile offer 5G home internet plans. You get a cell router and the prices are very cheap, $30-$40 a month. As long as you’re in a good service area for either of those carriers it could be way cheaper than wired internet, and you get the throughput of a proper router.
Don't forget to get use of the Verizon 5g deals - do not sign up for free; lately they were giving Xbox series s and series x, now i think it is 200 gift card to target(?) and a nintendo switch.

Reactions: Supermallet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.