Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
What does Cancelled mean on a user ?

Wondering.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Users who are premium subscribers can write their own text. Pretty sure that’s what that is and it’s someone making a joke
...I'm pretty sure that isn't true, otherwise I'd likely see someone with the title "Sexlord" by now..

anyways, yeah, like @MmkLucario said, that's a title given to people who wanted their account gone (in the FAQ)

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
...I'm pretty sure that isn't true, otherwise I'd likely see someone with the title "Sexlord" by now..

anyways, yeah, like @MmkLucario said, that's a title given to people who wanted their account gone (in the FAQ)
I'm pretty sure it at least used to be true then? Maybe you can only pick Demi-God/Goddess and Contributor now?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm pretty sure it at least used to be true then? Maybe you can only pick Demi-God/Goddess and Contributor now?
As a Contributor, from what I recall, you can choose "Contributor", or "Demi-God", or "Demi-Goddess", or simply retain your current title (which, in your case, is "604") while remaining a contributor.

Given that the designation "cancelled" has a very specific meaning when discussing membership of the forum (as it makes it publicly clear that the member/poster in question has requested - of the staff - that their account be closed), I would be astonished if it had ever been possible to use it anywhere else in the forum, even in jest.

Reactions: casperes1996

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
As @MmkLucario has already stated, it means that the account holder requested that their account be closed.

Thus, it differs from a suspension, which is when the staff have terminated the account of a user (usually because of violations of forum rules).
The term "suspension" is used on MR not only for situations which are temporary, such as a few days or longer suspension, but also in situations which actually are permanent. Somehow "Suspended" sounds gentler, nicer than "BANNED", although I think the latter term is also still used as well in some scenarios.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Somehow "Suspended" sounds gentler, nicer than "BANNED", although I think the latter term is also still used as well in some scenarios.
We don't make a (public) distinction between suspensions and bans: details of moderation are private, so we don't indicate whether a given member is temporarily suspended or permanently banned.

I think we might have used "Banned" in the past, but that would have been several years ago.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
We don't make a (public) distinction between suspensions and bans: details of moderation are private, so we don't indicate whether a given member is temporarily suspended or permanently banned.

I think we might have used "Banned" in the past, but that would have been several years ago.
Actually it was 3-4 years ago. Back then, it used to be Time-Out or Banned. To be honest, I don't mind which method is used. In the end, everyone will know when someone is banned if after a month the "Suspended" user doesn't return.

Furthermore, I don't think that using the old monikers breaks any moderation policy as they don't state what happened; just that discipline happened.

Also, there is a the Guest title that is even rarer and was given to users back vBulletin days who closed their accounts.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Actually, if memory serves, I think that "banned" may have been used (which made clear that the suspended state was permanent, as opposed to the term "time-out", which denoted a temporary ban, or suspension, which was also used then) prior to the migration - a number of years ago - to the current server.

Reactions: Nermal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.