Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
I have 2 computers connected via ethernet to the router. One is a Mac and the other is a win10 machine. The win10 machine can see the NAS when using the wired connection and when using wifi. The Mac can only see the NAS when using wifi. It cannot see the NAS when connected to the router via cable. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can go about fixing this?

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
something must not be configured properly with the network. We’d need to know more about your setup. Can you ping it over the LAN?

Last edited:

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2021
I guess you're trying to connect using the server name. Try connecting using the ip number like smb://192.168.1.xx

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Hi all.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm connecting via the IP address of the NAS. I can literally connect via the ip when on wifi, disconnect from my wifi, reconnect with my network cable and try to reconnect to the NAS and it won't find it. The exact same thing happens when I try to connect to my time capsule. The Mac will connect to the time capsule via wifi, but then I switch off wifi, connect via cable, and its gone.

I thought it might have been some mucked up network settings on my computer, so I did a complete format and fresh install and the exact same thing occurs. On Wifi I see my NAS and Time capsule but as soon as I connect via cable, boom, they are gone.

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Is there any security on the NAS pertaining to devices that are allowed to connect to it? WiFi and Ethernet have different Ethernet (MAC) addresses so the NAS would see them as coming from different devices.

Oh…and WiFi and Ethernet are both LAN. WLAN would be a connection from outside your home/business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.