Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madsj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
After i updated, it says something to the extend of: ""Macintosh HD" Can't be opened, because the original subject doesn't exist"

The computer works, I can access my desktop and use my programs, but I can't access the harddrive and some of the other system folders, what is going on?

it's a 2016 13" MBP with a 256gb SSD

Reimer

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Have you tried restarting?

I was experiencing something similar right after updating. I tried accessing my /Library/Application Support/ folder and it said the folder couldn't be found. I restarted once more and now it's fine.

madsj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
Restarting the system or finder unfortunately doesn't fix the problem. The icon of the harddrive in finder is no longer the normal drive icon. In disk utility it is formatted to APFS. I cannot search for the drive in spotlight. It is like the icon in finder is an alias or a link that no longer works, and the actual drive is now hidden or unaccessible.

EDIT - I think I fixed it: The link in the finder menu was a dead link. I went Finder -> Go -> Computer, the drive appeared and I could access it, so i just replaced the dead link with this one, still can't find the drive in spotlight!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.