Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FireFish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007

Cannot activate an eSim on an Apple Watch from AT&T FirstNet​

Cannot activate an eSim on an Apple Watch from AT&T FirstNet

• I've tried everything, including sending the Watch in for Apple repair twice.
  • During the initial Apple Watch setup wizard, the Cellular step is unavailable:
  • The setup involved with problem involves setting up an Apple Watch for use by my kid, who doesn't have an iPhone.
    • We have a Family Plan in iCloud setup.
    • When setting up the watch, I select for other Family Member.
    • He uses his Apple ID to log in.
    • Then,....
  • Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 3.16.48 AM.png

• When attempting to setup the watch for my personal use, I can activate the eSim as a new line or a replacement:
  • Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 2.41.50 AM.png

For more on Apple's community on this matter, check out this thread.

Alternatively, check it out on Reddit here.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 2.48.10 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 2.48.10 AM.png
    156.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015

Cannot activate an eSim on an Apple Watch from AT&T FirstNet​

Cannot activate an eSim on an Apple Watch from AT&T FirstNet

• I've tried everything, including sending the Watch in for Apple repair twice.
  • During the initial Apple Watch setup wizard, the Cellular step is unavailable:
  • The setup involved with problem involves setting up an Apple Watch for use by my kid, who doesn't have an iPhone.
    • We have a Family Plan in iCloud setup.
    • When setting up the watch, I select for other Family Member.
    • He uses his Apple ID to log in.
    • Then,....
  • View attachment 2300952 .

• When attempting to setup the watch for my personal use, I can activate the eSim as a new line or a replacement:
  • View attachment 2300953

For more on Apple's community on this matter, check out this thread.

Alternatively, check it out on Reddit here.
From an "ACE" on the AT&T forums:

"You can set up your child's Apple watch on a standalone AT&T account. You cannot put family members devices on firstnet"

FireFish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
From an "ACE" on the AT&T forums:

"You can set up your child's Apple watch on a standalone AT&T account. You cannot put family members devices on firstnet"
My issue has nothing to do with this.
As a FirstNet responder, I'm entitled to 1 Apple Watch, 1 Phone and 1 Tablet with FirstNet network access and all remaining lines get just the discount.

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006
My issue has nothing to do with this.
As a FirstNet responder, I'm entitled to 1 Apple Watch, 1 Phone and 1 Tablet with FirstNet network access and all remaining lines get just the discount.
I don’t know if you’ve got it figured out yet, but you might have to go into an AT&T store. I’ve been a FirstNet customer for like four years. When I became a customer, there was only an option for one line only. For me to add a watch or a tablet, they need to change my plan. They were having issues changing my account and I was in a time crunch so I had to leave. How long have you been on FirstNet?

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
I don’t know if you’ve got it figured out yet, but you might have to go into an AT&T store. I’ve been a FirstNet customer for like four years. When I became a customer, there was only an option for one line only. For me to add a watch or a tablet, they need to change my plan. They were having issues changing my account and I was in a time crunch so I had to leave. How long have you been on FirstNet?
If it was just one line they have to change the plan around, go into a corporate store

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006
If it was just one line they have to change the plan around, go into a corporate store
I was at a corporate store. Not many of them know much about FirstNet. They’re getting better, but three or four years ago, it was terrible. They insisted the black SIM card wasn’t necessary, so a bunch of first responders had the regular SIM card and it was causing a bunch of issues. Because of those problems, people in my area still have a bad taste in their mouth about FirstNet and won’t switch over.

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
I was at a corporate store. Not many of them know much about FirstNet. They’re getting better, but three or four years ago, it was terrible. They insisted the black SIM card wasn’t necessary, so a bunch of first responders had the regular SIM card and it was causing a bunch of issues. Because of those problems, people in my area still have a bad taste in their mouth about FirstNet and won’t switch over.
I’ve had it for a while, the customer support sucks, but still worth it

I do remember when it added the watch they changed some stuff on my plan, still the black sim, but the type of plan changed, I also didn’t leave the store till the phone was activated

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Good luck on finding a competent AT&T employee, at the store or in customer service. They are dumb as a rock!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.