Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrtunes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2013
I head over to the iCloud tab in settings. The only things selected for backup are contacts, calendars and notes. Then I hit Storage and Backup and try to turn on iCloud Backup.

It says there is 5 gb free, but then it says the phone cannot be backed up because there is not enough icloud storage available.

mrtunes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2013
Stop iCloud backup. Go in ur backups, delete your backup, and restart your backup..

thank you, that didnt fix it but it lead me on the right path where i noticed it was trying to back up camera roll and all my apps. now i turned off all those (took a while to swipe through them).

however, the backup says 'three hours remaining', and i just asked it to backup my notes. do you know what's going on?

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
U don't need to backup notes.. If u don't what the backup of ur whole phone stop the backup, and delete it from iCloud , then go in iCloud settings and switch on notes..

Then go in settings and scroll down to notes, put the default account as iCloud... In that way, all your notes will shift to iCloud, and will not consume your phone memory..

So notes backup isn't required...it automatically is in sync with iCloud and all your devices..

P.S by putting the default account to notes you won't even consume your iCloud memory since this is not counted against your storage..

mrtunes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2013
U don't need to backup notes.. If u don't what the backup of ur whole phone stop the backup, and delete it from iCloud , then go in iCloud settings and switch on notes..

Then go in settings and scroll down to notes, put the default account as iCloud... In that way, all your notes will shift to iCloud, and will not consume your phone memory..

So notes backup isn't required...it automatically is in sync with iCloud and all your devices..

P.S by putting the default account to notes you won't even consume your iCloud memory since this is not counted against your storage..

if i go to Settings... Notes and change the default account to iCloud, does that mean that only future notes are going to go into the iCloud, or will it move everything i've written over to iCloud?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
thank you, that didnt fix it but it lead me on the right path where i noticed it was trying to back up camera roll and all my apps. now i turned off all those (took a while to swipe through them).

however, the backup says 'three hours remaining', and i just asked it to backup my notes. do you know what's going on?

It's not backing up your notes. if the switch is green by notes they are syncing which is a different data set. Well the notes you wrote after you hit the switch. The old stuff, if it's not linked to an email, goes in the backup. It's also backing up your messages etc which you can't turn off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.