Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trixman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Sierra 10.12.6.
I followed these instructions:
1. Log out of the account that you're renaming: Choose Apple menu  > Log Out.
2. Log in to the other administrator account. Do not log in to the account that you're renaming.
3. From the menu bar in the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder, then type /Users and press Return. The Users folder opens.
4. In the Users folder, select the folder of the account that you're renaming, then press Return and enter the new name. Don't use any spaces in the new name. When prompted, enter the name and password of the administrator account that you just used to log in.
Step 4 failed. I selected the folder with the name I wanted to change but nothing happened when I pressed enter.
HELP!

trixman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Thanks, I tried that, all turned off, but it was still a no go.
When strong passwords and logins became important years ago on my Windows & Mac machines I used to use complex IDs and Passwords for security reasons. I have found from experience that complex ones were mostly unnecessary and with the improvements in security I have been replacing them with simplified ones. My Mac pro is one of the holdouts.

MP Sharing 20240310_125125.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.