Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Okay, so I'm not one for using the base operating system on any computer, I like to wipe and do a clean install myself, even if it's the same operating system. Just picked up a base 2011 Mac Mini today, and I'm trying to use my flash drive that I used with my MBP successfully, and I try to boot from it to install and all I get is a circle with a line through it, thus not working. Anyone have suggestions? I'm about to try an external DVD drive and use that method to install Lion. Thanks.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The 2011 Air's and Mini's have a special build of Lion and cannot use the retail installation.

jwhazel

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Use the Internet install method? Not sure what you're hoping to accomplish by all this extra work. It's the same OS.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Use the Internet install method? Not sure what you're hoping to accomplish by all this extra work. It's the same OS.

I had to do that. It's indeed a special build. You have to boot the mini by holding down Alt/Option as you do so, and do a Network Recovery.

The downside to this is it takes ages to download the Lion image and then install. But that's the only way I could make it work after changing out the drive for an SSD.

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
I like a fresh OS that I installed myself, and the fact I'll probably change the drive later on. All of this proprietary BS is ridiculous for us IT people and power users. There has to be some way of getting around this.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I like a fresh OS that I installed myself, and the fact I'll probably change the drive later on. All of this proprietary BS is ridiculous for us IT people and power users. There has to be some way of getting around this.

There isn't. As of this writing the only way to reinstall Mac OS X 10.7 on a 2011 Mini or 2011 Air is via the Internet based Recovery System.

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Any idea yet (doubtful) where it gets the files, or where they download on the hard drive? I wonder if I could get a hold of what it downloads, back it up to a flash drive/DVD, I might be able to reinstall normally from there.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Any idea yet (doubtful) where it gets the files, or where they download on the hard drive? I wonder if I could get a hold of what it downloads, back it up to a flash drive/DVD, I might be able to reinstall normally from there.

It probably gets its files from a secure Apple server. The files are probably kept as an oddly compressed format and are deleted when the reinstallation is complete.

Mr Rogers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Hong Kong
You can clean install Lion on a Mac Mini by using install method of Mac Book Air, basically you need to find the DGM file in your Lion DL, create a 4.2G part ion on your HDD and load Lion DGM file onto this via restore option in Disc Utility, once Lion installed on disc part ion, you can boot into this and then initiate clean install - I'm running three Mac's utilising this method and it works great - its easy to find Lion install DGM once you open up the properties of your original Lion download.

Alternatively, just DL a Developers version of Lion GM and use this.
Hope this assists.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Seriously..developers preview? That would be a downgrade to an unfinished OS with more bugs, unless you mean the GM? Developer Previews are NOT want you want to install on your system, unless was that a joke? lol.

The special version of Lion is there for a reason, and any DP is like taking 200 steps back, nice :rolleyes: With all due respect, of course.

jwhazel

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005

What exactly do you think is different about the copy of the OS that comes installed from the factory and the copy that comes off of Apple servers/retail cd/thumbdrive?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
What exactly do you think is different about the copy of the OS that comes installed from the factory and the copy that comes off of Apple servers/retail cd/thumbdrive?

The build that comes on the 2011 Mini's and Air's is slightly different then the App Store build. Probably extra drives, they cannot run the App Store version of Lion. The GM and App Store build are the same, but that doesn't mean Apple could not have fixed a few bugs.

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Retail Build: 11A511
Mac Mini: 11A2061

Different build.

Would rather have a normal retail build, delete Recovery HD, make is a traditional OS then Apple proprietary install. I just like to install it myself, and manage it myself. Just the type of IT person I am.

Also, I will try the restore option as stated above by Mr Rogers.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Dude, the special build is better suited for that hardware, it would be a going backwards to put the "normal" build on it. That's like saying you'd rather have an unoptimized experience? Its not like the special build is in any way inferior to the normal one.

And plus, it can't be done, and which I'd imagine for good reasons.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
There isn't. As of this writing the only way to reinstall Mac OS X 10.7 on a 2011 Mini or 2011 Air is via the Internet based Recovery System.

so even when the usb stick comes out in aug (im assuming retail version) the only way to ever do a clean install is via command-r internet recovery?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
so even when the usb stick comes out in aug (im assuming retail version) the only way to ever do a clean install is via command-r internet recovery?

Take note I said "as of this writing". The USB reinstallation drive may be new enough to allow it to reinstall on to 2011 Air's and Mini's. It may even come with 10.7.1.

Mr Rogers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Hong Kong
Lion GM build on Mac Mini

A few facts, my Mac Mini 2010 had restore discs with SL 10.6.3, to upgrade to Lion without clean install you need SL 10.6.6, I was actually running SL 10.6.8 and originally just upgraded SL to Lion - all seemed fine for 2 days, but after that had major kernel panics - not sure if Plex or Transmission was the issue.

So, after spending a huge amount of time salvaging more than 1T of content, trying various partitions and other matters, finally, just backed up my external HDD content to new iMac HDD and partitioned my internal HDD and external HDD to boot from Lion GM, once partition in place, erased HDD for clean install, no custom install though - not sure why this did not work.

The internal HDD method for installing Lion DGM is same as with Macbook Air and I have no issues running Lion on my 2010 Mac Mini after clean install from a Lion GM copy - obviously I cannot make this claim for 2011 Mac Mini.

As for special versions of Lion, how so? or, are people referring to original Install discs that come with Macs, each being different for type of Mac you run.

Upshot, I'm running Lion GM on three Macs, two iMac 27in i7 3.4Ghz machines and Mac Mini 2010 all run fine, Parallels runs fine, Windows 7 runs fine, Creative Suite 5.5 runs fine, Office 2008 and 2011 runs fine.

Until you try out Boot partition method with Lion GM yourself, hard to say what issues you'll encounter - one things for sure, after upgrading all my IT equipment this year, I'm not upgrading to new Mac Mini, indeed I'm buying another 2010 model thats tried and tested - would have got new model, but Apple made this choice difficult by dropping discrete graphics in server model and not offering i7 Quad in regular model - hence, I'm happy with 2010 model until Apple revise line-up again next year.

Obviously, I'm lucky, I have a good wireless network, all my media is available wirelessly and my xBox and LG HTC are wireless, should I need to encode or do heavy CPU/Graphics work, I use my iMac's, I use my Mac Mini as a media server and new Mac Mini 2010 model will be married to a 27in Dell Monitor for family use, thus saving my expensive iMac's being used by the kids.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.