Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Hello Guys,

I have a Macbook Pro 2016 (15", Radeon Pro 455, in case that matters)
and a Huawei Mate 9 device.

Enabled the 5GHz Hotspot on my Mate 9 but I cannot see it on my Macbook or Connect to it manually,
tried all channels and restarting both devices.

prxgnEU.png

cfmi4OR.jpg

These are my only 5GHz devices, so I'm out of ideas about what to do? or which default is having issue here!
I also created a 5GHz Network on Macbook but cannot See it or connect to it on Mate 9 as well.

Any help is appreciated.

macpot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
I asked from another Mate 9 owner, and he has no issue with doing this on Macbook Air!
can any one help me diagnose or fix my issue here please?

Last edited:

macpot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
I'm still working on it and made some progress.

Got Wifi Scanner apps on both devices.

When I create a 5GHz network in Macbook, I CAN see it on Android device's Wifi Scanner (PingTools Pro):

7lsTJAQ.jpg

But when I enable 5GHz Hotspot on Mate 9, nothing is detected by Mac Wifi Scanner (WiFi Explorer):

GUc64ds.png

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Have you tried standard WPA or no security to see if it's something with WPA2? [Probably a long shot in this day and age, but it used to be a bigger problem].

Can you test it with OTHER 5Ghz networks to verify that it's not an antenna issue [yes, I know you stated that you can see it in WiFi scanner, and admittedly I'm reaching here, but maybe there's a disconnected antenna and the scanner can see it but OS X can't?

macpot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Have you tried standard WPA or no security to see if it's something with WPA2? [Probably a long shot in this day and age, but it used to be a bigger problem].

Can you test it with OTHER 5Ghz networks to verify that it's not an antenna issue [yes, I know you stated that you can see it in WiFi scanner, and admittedly I'm reaching here, but maybe there's a disconnected antenna and the scanner can see it but OS X can't?

Yes, I tried with "No Password" option and it didn't work.

I can see Macbook-created 5GHz Network in Android device's Wifi Scanner, not vise versa, no 5GHz signal is shown in Macbook's Wifi Scanner.

Sadly neither me nor my friends have any 5GHz device to borrow me :(
But if the antenna is disconnected, how can my Macbook create a 5GHz network?

Edit: Issue still persists but I made some more progress:
I can connect to a 5GHz network created by Macbook Pro with my Mate 9
I enabled Internet sharing from Bluetooth to Wifi on Macbook which created a network on Channel 36 and now I can connect to it with Mate 9 without any issues. (previously I created computer-to-computer network with Macbook and couldn't connect to it)

So my Macbook can create 5GHz networks without any issues, and my Mate 9 can connect to them just fine, but not vise versa!?!? I cannot connect to Mate9-created 5GHz Hotspot with Macbook!

I'm so confused, which device is having issues here? my mind is blown! weird mystery!

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Does you mate (I assume it is a wife hotspot or phone) require you grant it explicit knowledge of your computer so that not just anyone can use it as a hotspot? I know my phone does when used as a wifi hotspot.

macpot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Does you mate (I assume it is a wife hotspot or phone) require you grant it explicit knowledge of your computer so that not just anyone can use it as a hotspot? I know my phone does when used as a wifi hotspot.

Mate 9 is my Phone model.

Yes, it has that as an "Option".
I also tried enabling it and setting my Macbook's Wifi MAC Address and name in its Whitelist , but it didn't work that way either, so I disabled that option again.

Also there is no issue when Hotspot is set to 2.4GHz, I can connect to it without any issues. (I changed SSID and removed it from Macbook remember wifi list after trying 2.4GHz)

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Where you're at is the point where I'd either call Apple or, if possible, take the laptop and the phone to them.

I've seen issues like this in the past where a particular device either wouldn't see a particular network or would connect but not talk. . but those have all been with equipment that is multi multi generations apart in technology and manufacturing date. On the surface it sounds like the two wireless chipsets don't play well together.... but I couldn't for the life of me tell you why. Your mate has an older MacBook Air, though, which means you can't explicitly rule out incompatibility.

As to why you can create but not see 5Ghz. . You can CREATE any network you want. If the antenna were disconnected you would get very limited range though. The card still WORKS without an antenna...

macpot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Where you're at is the point where I'd either call Apple or, if possible, take the laptop and the phone to them.

I've seen issues like this in the past where a particular device either wouldn't see a particular network or would connect but not talk. . but those have all been with equipment that is multi multi generations apart in technology and manufacturing date. On the surface it sounds like the two wireless chipsets don't play well together.... but I couldn't for the life of me tell you why. Your mate has an older MacBook Air, though, which means you can't explicitly rule out incompatibility.

As to why you can create but not see 5Ghz. . You can CREATE any network you want. If the antenna were disconnected you would get very limited range though. The card still WORKS without an antenna...

Where I live, apple does not provide any support, I'd take it to them first thing if it was possible,
So that's why I'm looking for help here instead.

Anyways, my Macbook-created 5GHz does not have a limited range (tried it 10 meters away) so I'm guessing Antenna is fine as you mentioned?

I just woke up and started working on it again, any help from Macrumors' users is also very appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.