Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Dear forum members,

Background: My mid-2011 Mac mini came with a stock Mac OS X 10.7.5 running on a HDD which I then proceeded to encrypt using File Vault. Later, an SSD was installed and the data was cloned over from the HDD to the SSD without decrypting the disk first but everything was fine. Somewhere along the way, that SSD was replaced by a larger capacity one, and the data was again cloned from the old SSD to the new one, also without first decrypting the disk, and everything still worked fine.

Current situation: I now want to upgrade to El-Capitan given that it can no longer sync with iOS 11 devices. The problem is that the system failed to boot during the upgrade and had to be restored from Time Machine. For a second attempt, I intend to decrypt the SSD first. However, this is where we run into additional problems. File Vault gives the error:

The target disk isn't eligible for reversion because it wasn't created by conversion or it is not part of a simple setup of exactly one logical and one physical volume.

I don't know whether this problem is a result of the two rounds of cloning or due to the restoration from Time Machine. Does anyone have any ideas of how I should proceed without a fresh install of El-Capitan on a separate HDD disk (which involves me wiping my Time Machine HDD and putting the remaining data at risk) and then moving the data over?

Thank in advance for your kind assistance.

~JC

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.