Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brinkeguthrie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
It's in (my name)/Library. No right click delete option, can't drag it to trash. Not locked.

brinkeguthrie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
I have NO idea what put in a password means. I am logged in here. It won't drag down to trash, no right click option to delete, and Move to trash is shaded in. Finder/File.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Not even a box with "open" "get info" etc etc... you right click and there is nothing at all that happens? But left click does select it and double left goes in?

brinkeguthrie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 8.12.04 PM.png

right click gives me this

brinkeguthrie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
Maybe it's not supposed to be removed? I thought I just made it tonight. There's another SOUNDS folder under Macintosh HD/System/Library/Sounds- those have the .aiff email sounds. I want to add one in there, and it won't let me.

Reactions: shurcooL

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I do see that the permissions on that folder differ from other folders in there.

Maybe it's not supposed to be removed? I thought I just made it tonight. There's another SOUNDS folder under Macintosh HD/System/Library/Sounds- those have the .aiff email sounds. I want to add one in there, and it won't let me.

Yeah, it's probably expected to be there. /System/Library/Sounds is on the protected system volume. You can't change it.

brinkeguthrie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
I do see that the permissions on that folder differ from other folders in there.

Yeah, it's probably expected to be there. /System/Library/Sounds is on the protected system volume. You can't change it.
It says I created it April 1st. I coulda sworn I made it tonight.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
There are a bunch of folder in my ~/Library folder which have created dates before my user account was created. A bunch of them can't be renamed or deleted.

Reactions: shurcooL

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
1. Delete using sudo command in Terminal.
2. Try deleting in SafeMode.
3. If all else fails, delete from another Mac in Target Disc mode.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
~/Library/Sounds has an ACL (Access Control List) with one entry: 0: group:everyone deny delete

You can only delete it if you remove the entry. You should leave it alone.

In Terminal type the command ls -lahe ~/Library That will show you all the items in ~/Library with any ACLs. I have about 20 folders with everyone deny delete.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
It says I created it April 1st. I coulda sworn I made it tonight.
The created date for all folders in /System/Library is the date and time when it was created by Apple when building the 13.3.1 distribution. In my case 2nd April at 02:46 (ahead of you because I am in a +10 time zone).

You will also find that many folders in /Library have that create date.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
First question is, are you sure you want/need to delete this folder that, as you indicate, you probably did not make yourself?

If you are absolutely sure you need to delete it then you can use terminal commands but I would suggest that someone not pretty verse in terminal command to be weary of it as it is a bummer when you accidentally delete the wrong thing.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
You should be putting files into ~/Library/Sounds which is in your Home folder.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
The files listed with the ACL's are the same ones that I show created when the computer was probably first imaged. There are some in that list that show " 0: group:everyone deny delete" (e.g. Colors) that the Finder context menu still shows the ability to delete. I don't plan on testing that. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.