Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thisMRguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Hi all,

My previous company from over 2years ago (in another country) installed a profile on my personal phone to add VPN, Wifi an email access, since then i've upgrade to a new phone and possible upgrading again, but i notice this profile still lingers on my personal icloud account and after each restore from icloud, the profile is cannot be removed although its expired.

I cannot delete it at all (Seems to be locked), is there any other solution without restoring as a new phone?, I have plenty of messages (imessenger), photos, and app settings that are part of this icloud backup

Any help on these profiles would be great. thanks :)

https://imgur.com/CpONYd9

https://imgur.com/BEhuZNN

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi all,

My previous company from over 2years ago (in another country) installed a profile on my personal phone to add VPN, Wifi an email access, since then i've upgrade to a new phone and possible upgrading again, but i notice this profile still lingers on my personal icloud account and after each restore from icloud, the profile is cannot be removed although its expired.

I cannot delete it at all (Seems to be locked), is there any other solution without restoring as a new phone?, I have plenty of messages (imessenger), photos, and app settings that are part of this icloud backup

Any help on these profiles would be great. thanks :)

https://imgur.com/CpONYd9

https://imgur.com/BEhuZNN
Unfortunately, you most likely need to set up your phone as new to get rid of these profiles. When the profiles are created, they can be set as non-deleteable, so iOS respects that setting.
It’s a possibility, however, that because these profiles were created by the Apple Configurator application, you may be able to install that app on a Mac and use that to delete these profiles.

thisMRguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Unfortunately, you most likely need to set up your phone as new to get rid of these profiles. When the profiles are created, they can be set as non-deleteable, so iOS respects that setting.
It’s a possibility, however, that because these profiles were created by the Apple Configurator application, you may be able to install that app on a Mac and use that to delete these profiles.

Good news, I found the *.pcf file in my emails from back then that I used to install it. I have unsuccessfully tried to open it in Apple Configurator, Says I need Apple configurator 1.

Every download points to Mac App Store, but its not there. hmm

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Good news, I found the *.pcf file in my emails from back then that I used to install it. I have unsuccessfully tried to open it in Apple Configurator, Says I need Apple configurator 1.

Every download points to Mac App Store, but its not there. hmm
You don't want to open the profile you have in your email. You need to install Configurator (current version is 2.x), connect your phone, and attempt to remove the profile from your phone in Configurator.

thisMRguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
You don't want to open the profile you have in your email. You need to install Configurator (current version is 2.x), connect your phone, and attempt to remove the profile from your phone in Configurator.

No luck, this is what pop's up upon removing the profile :(

An unexpected error has occurred with “Iphone”.
The profile “会社VPN” does not have the expected certificate for removal. [MCInstallationErrorDomain – 0xFA8 (4008)]

Lau Roc

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2020
No luck, this is what pop's up upon removing the profile :(

An unexpected error has occurred with “Iphone”.
The profile “* ** *VPN” does not have the expected certificate for removal. [MCInstallationErrorDomain – 0xFA8 (4008)]

I also encountered this problem, did you solve it? ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.