Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
Hi there,

Longtime Macrumors user, though I do not usually use this forum thread. I have a vexing problem that neither google nor the macrumors search function have been able to solve for me.

A few months ago, I started getting a popup on my mac offering to set up Viasat Remote management. I had the option to 'skip' this, which I did. Eventually, I decided that something was compromised with my computer and decided to do a clean OSX re-install.

This I did using the recovery partition to 'Erase' the hard drive, then 'Re-install a new copy' of OSX. Once that was downloaded, I selected my location (United States), keyboard layout (U.S.), and Wi-Fi network.

The next screen is titled 'Remote Management', with the following paragraph: Remote management enables the administrator of "viasat, Inc." to set up email and network accounts, install and configure apps, and manage this computer's settings. "Viasat, Inc." can automatically configure your computer. (this is followed by a link containing the contact information for Viasat - matching the contact information on viasat.com)

If I click 'Continue', which is my only option to move forward, I see the message: "Contacting enrollment server and configuring your Mac." I am asked for my User Name and Password.

Sooooooo, what's going on. This does not seem normal, and yet Viasat is apparently a legitimate company. I feel like they have control of my computer somehow. Any suggestions?

Reactions: maxoakland

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
Well, this could be disappointing. I reached out to Apple support. His first question was basically where I got the computer. I get most of my stuff directly from Apple, but this one I got from eBay. I went back to the eBay listing and whaddya know - the serial number of the listing does not match the serial number on my computer.

It seems the most likely explanation is that I have a stolen computer. The weird thing is that the seller has a 99.8% positive rating, and is still very active. I would think they would run into problems fairly quickly if this is an intentional scheme.

Anyways, I reached out to Viasat, who for all I know is the rightful owner of the computer (this after leaving them an irritated voice-mail that they had infected my computer). I feel bad if it's indeed their computer. (Probably hawked by some employee who wanted to make a quick buck selling a work-issued computer they didn't need.) I also reached out to the eBay seller. It seems weird to discover this after almost 2 years using the computer without anything unusual.

That's my excitement for the day. Never had anything like this happen before. Maybe there's a simpler explanation.

• Sad

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It seems the most likely explanation is that I have a stolen computer. The weird thing is that the seller has a 99.8% positive rating, and is still very active. I would think they would run into problems fairly quickly if this is an intentional scheme.
You're likely correct. The computer is registered through Apple to Viasat, which can only happen if Viasat bought the computer originally. If Viasat legitimately sold the computer, they're obligated by the terms of their contract with Apple that the device gets removed from their management system.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
An interesting story -- I hadn't heard of this before. I see you reinstalled from the recovery partition; I'm wondering if you installed from a bootable USB installer (erasing the _entire_ internal storage first) if that might stop it from contacting the viasat enrollment server. Just a guess that perhaps this remote management/enrollment stuff is part of the recovery partition...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
An interesting story -- I hadn't heard of this before. I see you reinstalled from the recovery partition; I'm wondering if you installed from a bootable USB installer (erasing the _entire_ internal storage first) if that might stop it from contacting the viasat enrollment server. Just a guess that perhaps this remote management/enrollment stuff is part of the recovery partition...
The enrollment is on Apple's end; it's not on the computer whatsoever.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
If the recovery partition is gone, wouldn't Apple see it as a brand new install, and not try to do any enrollment?
No. There's nothing saved on the computer itself that enrolls the computer with Apple's DEP system. If the computer never goes online, one might avoid the prompt, but once the computer connects to the internet, it's going to get configured.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Sounds like you bought stolen property (even if you had no knowledge of the origins of the computer).

If you REALLY want to be rid of this problem:
- Turn off the Mac and put it into the closet, or return it to the place it was stolen from
- Buy a NEW or Apple-refurbished MacBook from Apple. It WILL NOT have the problem you have now.

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
Sounds like you bought stolen property (even if you had no knowledge of the origins of the computer).

If you REALLY want to be rid of this problem:
- Turn off the Mac and put it into the closet, or return it to the place it was stolen from
- Buy a NEW or Apple-refurbished MacBook from Apple. It WILL NOT have the problem you have now.

Words to live by indeed. I have spoken with management at Viasat, and I am waiting to hear back from them. In the meantime, I don’t have a computer to use.

One interesting thing about this situation is that eBay has no interest. On their website, I am instructed to contact my local law-enforcement if I think stolen property is listed. On the one hand, I can understand their reluctance to get involved. On the other hand, because of this situation, I will likely go from a regular eBay purchaser to never using the site again.

For what it’s worth, I have bought two cars off of eBay. I will likely buy another computer from Apple, but at this point I am not sure whether I need to, or whether I can continue to use my current computer. The manager I spoke to at Viasat indicated that there was a good possibility they would free up my computer and deal with the problem of stolen property on their end.

• Sad

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
I thought I'd update this thread if anyone cares. Viasat was able to confirm that the computer was stolen. I sent them as much information as I could on the eBay listing and PayPal transaction. They had me file a local police report.

At the end of the day, though, they kindly let me keep the computer and will authorize Apple to unlock it. I tried to unlock it today without success. I'll have to call Apple tomorrow.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Thanks for the update — I was curious about how it would turn out. It was nice of the company to offer to release it. Hope the last step with Apple goes OK!

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
I feel like one of those people I mock who put every banal detail of their life on public display (-;

I texted Apple, and they pretty much treated me like a criminal. I don't think the guy believed my story. He told me to bring my computer to a police station right away because they could track it to my house...

I ended up re-installing OSX from a thumb drive. During the install, I told the computer I didn't have internet access, and it let me proceed with the installation. I can now use the computer again, though I keep getting a popup that asks me if I would like to set up remote management. I'm going to have to take it to an Apple store. Hopefully, I won't get arrested. :rolleyes:

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Ha ha -- guess you wouldn't be able to use the computer from prison! :)

What an ordeal. Now I'm glad that I've always been too worried to buy a Mac or an iPhone used, afraid something would go wrong. I'm sorry it happened to you, but it's a good lesson for the rest of us. It's good to hear you can at least use it now, albeit with that popup annoyance.

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
Final F/U post: A few weeks after my last post, I installed an OS X update via the App Store. Not only did it not give me any trouble, but after that update I didn't get the popup anymore, and haven't in a few months. I expect the memo finally made it from Viasat to Apple that they had turned over my computer.

I have made many eBay purchases before, but beware, and be vigilant. I probably could have avoided the whole problem if I at first compared the serial number on my computer to the serial number on the eBay listing.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Just found this from a link you put in another post.

One thing I am curious about is how long did it take you to realise the serial numbers did not match? because you could have returned it as 'not as described' and got your money back? Or was the desire to keep the mac book so strong that you dismissed the difference in serial numbers?

Suzatlarge

macrumors member
May 4, 2008
Colorado
This is an interesting discussion. I found it because I encountered the "Remote Management" screen when preparing my rMBP for sale. I'd erased the HD and booted into the recovery screen where I selected "Reinstall Mac OS." I've owned this 2014 MBP for two years. I bought it used and reconditioned from a reputable local Mac shop. I also paid them some serious bucks for an extended warranty.

At this time I've chosen to restore the hard drive from my Time Machine backups. That process looks like it's going to take a few hours. I've never backed up a whole OS and drive from TM before, so this is a new experience for me. I'm not super stressed about it because I've replaced the rMBP with a new M1 Mini and made double sure all my files on its HD were copied over to external disks. I run my Macs "light" anyway; I have the OS and apps on the internal drive but rely on external drives for my document, photo, and other media files. The random file gets put on the internal drive, usually when the MBP is being used away from home.

I have reached out to the company named in the remote management message [not Viasat, BTW] asking for assistance. From my research I learned that it's possible the MBP was legitimately sold by them and they didn't follow up and remove it from Apple's DEP. Or, as the OP experienced, it could have been stolen. I sent them a pdf of my invoice from the local Mac shop in case this was a stolen machine. Depending on their reply I will follow up with the shop where I bought it.

And, here I thought I could just sell it to a buy-back company as I had intended. Oh well, the best laid plans do go awry. :confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian33

Suzatlarge

macrumors member
May 4, 2008
Colorado
Update: I have now heard from the company. They said that they sold the MBP but forgot to delete it from their MDM system. They say that they have now deleted it and I should be able to erase the drive and reinstall the OS with no hindrance. That's a relief!

OTOH I'm disappointed with the reseller, that local shop. I would have thought that they would have erased the internal drive and done a clean install of the OS - in which case they would have encountered the "remote management" lock screen and had to resolve it. I'm now extremely wary of ever buying a used computer again. After all, this wasn't some unknown online seller, but a shop I've done business with in the past. Yep, disappointing for sure.

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
Update: I have now heard from the company. They said that they sold the MBP but forgot to delete it from their MDM system. They say that they have now deleted it and I should be able to erase the drive and reinstall the OS with no hindrance. That's a relief!

OTOH I'm disappointed with the reseller, that local shop. I would have thought that they would have erased the internal drive and done a clean install of the OS - in which case they would have encountered the "remote management" lock screen and had to resolve it. I'm now extremely wary of ever buying a used computer again. After all, this wasn't some unknown online seller, but a shop I've done business with in the past. Yep, disappointing for sure.
That was the take-home lesson for me. I am very wary of buying a used computer online again. I didn’t recognize the serial number problem until well over a year after I bought the computer, so returning it was not an option.

Reactions: Suzatlarge

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
Just found this from a link you put in another post.

One thing I am curious about is how long did it take you to realise the serial numbers did not match? because you could have returned it as 'not as described' and got your money back? Or was the desire to keep the mac book so strong that you dismissed the difference in serial numbers?
It was well over a year after I bought the computer that I recognized the serial number problem. I have bought two cars, and innumerable other big purchases on eBay, and became irrationally comfortable with the process. This experience was a big eye-opener.

Reactions: Suzatlarge

mabe.osuna82

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2023
Sorry to reactivate this thread.

But I need to get your comments about this.

I found this thread while i was searching for Viasat Inc as today while I was using a Macbook that I purchased from a facebook's marketplace user.

Yesterday at night, I met with the seller at a public place to purchase a Macbook Pro M2 16", we finally meet very late when the mall was closing.

I was able to check the laptop with him to make sure that I was able to log in to my apple id without any problems. To my surprise the Macbook's box was still sealed. He remove the 2 seals in front of me and removed the thin plastic and paper cover between the keyboard and screen.

Basically this was a new and still in box item.

I paid him the price we agreed as everything when smooth until that moment.........I asked if he had the proof of purchase and he told me it was a gift from his cousin, that he may have a copy of it.

As it was late (approx. 10 pm) we just completed the transaction and I went back home.

Today as I had time to install software, I was promted to accept Viasat Inc to setup the computer, or somekind of message like that, It was a little strange to me so I web browsed something I could find and I was able to get to this thread.

What should I do in this situation? report to the police, communicate with Viasat Inc.

I have screenshots of my messages between me and the seller, I haven't contacted him cause I dont want to get blocked or him removing this profile from facebook. I took screenshots of his photo and screenshots of the ad where he is selling the laptop.

Im really worried to lost my hard earned money on this and what could be the outcome. To his moment I haven't accept the Viasat Inc option to setup the laptop. No other profiles in the Macbook's settings.

I searched information about Viasat Inc from the place where I live but i dont know what the next step should be, I need this laptop for my work and know I very frustrated for not knowing what I can do but also I don't want to get in trouble as I purchased this laptop in good faith.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Sorry to reactivate this thread.

But I need to get your comments about this.

I found this thread while i was searching for Viasat Inc as today while I was using a Macbook that I purchased from a facebook's marketplace user.

Yesterday at night, I met with the seller at a public place to purchase a Macbook Pro M2 16", we finally meet very late when the mall was closing.

I was able to check the laptop with him to make sure that I was able to log in to my apple id without any problems. To my surprise the Macbook's box was still sealed. He remove the 2 seals in front of me and removed the thin plastic and paper cover between the keyboard and screen.

Basically this was a new and still in box item.

I paid him the price we agreed as everything when smooth until that moment.........I asked if he had the proof of purchase and he told me it was a gift from his cousin, that he may have a copy of it.

As it was late (approx. 10 pm) we just completed the transaction and I went back home.

Today as I had time to install software, I was promted to accept Viasat Inc to setup the computer, or somekind of message like that, It was a little strange to me so I web browsed something I could find and I was able to get to this thread.

What should I do in this situation? report to the police, communicate with Viasat Inc.

I have screenshots of my messages between me and the seller, I haven't contacted him cause I dont want to get blocked or him removing this profile from facebook. I took screenshots of his photo and screenshots of the ad where he is selling the laptop.

Im really worried to lost my hard earned money on this and what could be the outcome. To his moment I haven't accept the Viasat Inc option to setup the laptop. No other profiles in the Macbook's settings.

I searched information about Viasat Inc from the place where I live but i dont know what the next step should be, I need this laptop for my work and know I very frustrated for not knowing what I can do but also I don't want to get in trouble as I purchased this laptop in good faith.
Report this to the police. how did you pay, is there any way to recover the payment?

mabe.osuna82

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2023
Report this to the police. how did you pay, is there any way to recover the payment?
I paid in cash, yesterday was paycheck day :(

The seller is still active, he marked the item as sold, he change his profile photo but theres other photos of him in his profile.

mabe.osuna82

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2023
This is the message i'm getting in the macbook (see top right corner)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 2.23.48 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 2.23.48 AM.png
    301.9 KB · Views: 79

mabe.osuna82

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2023
I spoke with Apple today, they connected to the computer via a remote session, checked the serial number, asked if I get the apple care, which I dont, it was already confirmed until 04/2026!! on about this mac.

I showed the agent a photo I found from the seller's facebook profile about a viasat inc info on the background (whiteboard with a email address with viasatinc server).

They told me that MAYBE the company forgot to decomission this laptop from their system.

The apple representative checked for viasat's software or profile in the computer or access to file/folder and full disk access but he couldn't find anything.

He advised me to go to local enforcement to ask if they have a stolen report for this laptop serial number and after that to reach out to Viasat, Inc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.