Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
Occasionally, perhaps 3-4 times a week, iTunes will freeze up on me. Here is what happens

• I wake up my Macbook Pro
  • I check the Dock and see the "dot" underneath the iTunes icon, which means that it is running.
  • I click on the Dock icon and nothing happens.
  • I right-click and select "show all windows" , no windows are there.
  • I click open the force quit window, select iTunes ( not responding ) and click on "Force Quit." Nothing changes.
  • I got into Activities and see iTunes Helper and 3 library processes running. I force kill all 3. iTunes still shows are running.
  • I try to force quit it again. Nothing happens.
If I reboot my Mac, iTunes will open as expected and works fine.

Perhaps important details -
  • My library is on a SMB2 home network share hosted on a Synology NAS.
  • I use the Automounter app to keep the share mounted.
  • I don't have problems with iTunes until after I let my Macbook Pro sleep / wake up.
  • My Macbook Pro is usually plugged into a Thunderbolt Dock that has ethernet but my Wifi is always on as well.

This is pretty annoying as it happens when I list of tasks to knock out on my Macbook Pro, and I have to wait for it reboot and re-open apps before I can get to work.

Any ideas on what the root cause might be? I suspect having my library on a network drive is the probably culprit, but it won't fit on my Macbook SSD.

Last edited:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
No idea, but seeing something similar with library local. If I do a quit from the dock, takes forever. If I unhide iTunes, exit quickly.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Any ideas on what the root cause might be? I suspect having my library on a network drive is the probably culprit, but it won't fit on my Macbook SSD.

My guess would be it gets hung because of the network connection some how ? You could try Activity Monitor / Network to try and figure it out? Recent hangs? "Open Files and Ports" etc.

Strange that you can't "force quit"

I keep my music library (and media files) on a separate disk too but use a USB connection

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I found some threads about Mac -> SMB connectivity problems in the Synology Reddit, and I applied the known good settings someone posted there. It was using SMB2. I switched the server to use SMB3 , then I restarted the network services on the Synology and rebooted my Macbook.

The smbutil command showed the smb settings before and after, and the shares have connected with SMB3 .
  1. smbutil statshares -a

It's too early to tell if that fixed anything. So far so good, but I'll give it a week to see if the problem returns.

Reactions: mikzn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.