Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OpenGL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2010
Hello,

I have an iPhone 8 and I wanted to backup my photos that are on it. With my iPhone 6, I would usually plug my phone into my laptop (Windows 10), have it mount and copy over the photos. When I do it with my iPhone 8, at best I copy 30 photos and then I get an exception saying that there is some system error. But, with my wife’s iPhone 6, all of this happens without any unnecessary fuss.

Also, I tried copying the photos in my Linux desktop and only managed to copy about 50 photos.

My question, what is the best way to copy photos and other data off of my iPhone 8?

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
If you backup your iPhone to iCloud, you can get the new Windows 10 iCloud app and download them that way. You can also do it in a browser. I know it’s not as fast as a direct connection but it’s better than nothing.

Reactions: AustinIllini

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Apple wants everyone to use iCloud for everything. That way they stay more in control - locking you in. Isnt it a bit odd that the simple act of copying photos over to a computer requires jumping through hoops and over hurdles using some convoluted method and third party apps? They don't make it impossible, but they sure go out of their way to make it a pain.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Apple wants everyone to use iCloud for everything. That way they stay more in control - locking you in. Isnt it a bit odd that the simple act of copying photos over to a computer requires jumping through hoops and over hurdles using some convoluted method and third party apps? They don't make it impossible, but they sure go out of their way to make it a pain.

You don’t really have to jump through hoops to get your pictures off an iPhone.. this person is having a system error. I’ve never had a problem getting my photos off the iPhone, especially on a Mac. AirDrop, image capture, the finder etc..

Zagor13

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2016
Hello,

I have an iPhone 8 and I wanted to backup my photos that are on it. With my iPhone 6, I would usually plug my phone into my laptop (Windows 10), have it mount and copy over the photos. When I do it with my iPhone 8, at best I copy 30 photos and then I get an exception saying that there is some system error. But, with my wife’s iPhone 6, all of this happens without any unnecessary fuss.

Also, I tried copying the photos in my Linux desktop and only managed to copy about 50 photos.

My question, what is the best way to copy photos and other data off of my iPhone 8?
its probably confusing your wife phone and yours and iTunes version plus maybe you don't cave actual pics on your phone but copies?...apple does make it annoying plus when have more devices you delete a pic and it gets redownloaded later on on some of your devices its a never ending annoyance...google definitely much better...i try to have both for backups and i keep all pics on all my devices never trusting iCloud or google plus print selected pictures once in a while (nothing beats a hard copy)

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Go to Settings/Photos and make sure ‘Transfer to Mac or PC’ has ‘keep originals’ checked, that may be your issue.

When I couldn’t transfer my photos to PC on Win10 I had to do that when importing from USB device.

kobby2k6

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2018
Northern Virginia
Hello,

If you still have access to a windows machine.

Either user, Iexplorer (I prefer Iexplorer since it is completely free)

or

Imazing

OpenGL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2010
Go to Settings/Photos and make sure ‘Transfer to Mac or PC’ has ‘keep originals’ checked, that may be your issue.

When I couldn’t transfer my photos to PC on Win10 I had to do that when importing from USB device.
Thanks, I’ll give this a shot.
[automerge]1582006787[/automerge]
If you still have access to a windows machine.

Either user, Iexplorer (I prefer Iexplorer since it is completely free)

or

Imazing

Would this work for the contents of my iBooks app?

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I use OneDrive and turn on camera upload. It automatically uploads all pics from camera roll to OneDrive. I also have them in iCloud, but also having them in OneDrive gives me a redundant backup as well as I back them up to a local drive on a Windows PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.