Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babblinbrunett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
I am trying to reinstall OS X on a 2009 erased iMac. When trying to input the apple ID and password to reinstall, I get the "try again later" message since that apple ID was not the original one to install the software. I have tried downloading software (Sierra since El Capitan was not available in the app store) under that apple ID but it didn't make a difference.

I have tried 1000 times to get the Internet Recovery option to work in order to reinstall OS X on my iMac and it does not work. The only thing I can think of is that the wireless keyboard isn't connecting until after I need to press ctrl opt R. I have also attempted to use Disk Maker but it came back with an error.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I sold this iMac to a friend and now I'm trying to get it up and running for her. I didn't want to sell it to begin with so this band-aid is coming off slowly...

Thanks!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I don't think "internet recovery" works on Macs before the 2010 models at the earliest.

My opinion only follows.

If you don't already have a copy of the El Capitan installer, you're probably going to have to download it from a source other than Apple. They make it very difficult to obtain older versions of their software.

I have no problems downloading from such "sources".
Others here do.
Whether you wish to do so, is up to you.

IF you already have a copy of the El Capitan installer, your best bet is to use a USB flash drive of 16gb or larger to create a bootable version of the installer on the flash drive.

To do this, you can use:
- DiskMaker X
or
- Install Disk Creator
or
- The Terminal

Then boot the Mac from the USB flash drive and install that way.

If none of the above is an option, you can go on ebay and buy a flash drive with the El Cap installer already installed and "ready to go".

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I have tried downloading software (Sierra since El Capitan was not available in the app store) under that apple ID but it didn't make a difference.
If by chance you ever purchased El Capitan in the past, there is a good chance it will be be listed under the "Purchased" tab in the App Store.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
The only thing I can think of is that the wireless keyboard isn't connecting until after I need to press ctrl opt R.
For what it's worth, that was my problem when trying to do internet recovery on a Mac mini. Connecting a wired keyboard it worked fine, so if you can find one to it's worth a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.