Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corporal_Canada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
hello, my name is Christopher and i am from the french part of Canada but i moved to the Philippines because why not...
i brought with me a 2015 macbook pro that had a failing hdd and finally when i arrived here.. it just died... so i replaced the hdd with a Ramsta 128gb ssd...... i tried OS recovery but the progress bar doesnt budge at all and i am using 30 mb/s fiber internet... so i just want to use the macbook pro for something... ANYTHING.. i distinctly remember installing manjaro linux on it back in Canada.. but i think i used a dvd to install it.. here in Philippines i no longer have access to that .. all i got is 2 USB drives.. 1 is 16gb.. and the other is 64gb... the 16gb that im using to try to install any os has been scanned twice for bad sectors in both linux and win10 and none were found...

the macbook does boot from the usb....but before any installation begins... it just freezes and/or restarts...

i am curious if this has anything to do with the 128gb ssd or because ive never turned off secure safeboot in bios...

ive tried booting into the macbook pro bios by holding command+option+O+F but it wont got to bios because either that side of the keyboard has failed or because the macbook really hates that ssd

Knightartorias8

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2023
Recovery mode for your device should be CMD + R this will try to download the recovery software in the OS the computer shipped with

CMD + Option + R will attempt download the latest OS your computer can run

If these boots aren't working, It might be the SSD, I can't speak for 3rd part drives as I only really work with OEM stuff from Apple. You can also try OPTION booting your computer and see if the firmware can atleast respond.

This is all assuming you wanna keep trying for the Mac OS, I can help with linux, sorry.

corporal_Canada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
Recovery mode for your device should be CMD + R this will try to download the recovery software in the OS the computer shipped with

If these boots aren't working, It might be the SSD, I can't speak for 3rd part drives as I only really work with OEM stuff from Apple. You can also try OPTION booting your computer and see if the firmware can atleast respond.

This is all assuming you wanna keep trying for the Mac OS, I can help with linux, sorry.
trying cmd option R.... but i have a feeling it will just be as before... but thank you in advance if this is the end all solution

corporal_Canada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
oddly enough the screen is green now... i noticed some static noise on the screen a moment ago... curious.. just how damaged is this macbook pro ?

corporal_Canada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
it is a well known fact that Philippines has something called dirty electricity (full of static) but this fujitsu craptop that im using doesnt show any signs of damage

corporal_Canada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023

after green screen it went back to white and just blank...

Knightartorias8

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2023
It sounds like this issues might extend more than just storage, if the firmware is not working on you, then we are looking at possible power/logic board issues. I would trace the problem back to when it started, if the device completely crapped out and it happened when you arrived, issues with the power regulation could've damage the board.

Regardless, a repair for the device might not be suitable, parts/cost wise. I can't really pin this as the issue remotely, but its the best guess I can make with your story so far.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
If your MBP is designed for Canada, which uses 120V/240V, that could be an issue since the Philippines uses 115V/230V... (from Wikipedia)

Have you tried all the recovery key combinations? Also make sure that you are connected to the internet via Wi-Fi or ethernet adapter...

corporal_Canada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
It sounds like this issues might extend more than just storage, if the firmware is not working on you, then we are looking at possible power/logic board issues. I would trace the problem back to when it started, if the device completely crapped out and it happened when you arrived, issues with the power regulation could've damage the board.

Regardless, a repair for the device might not be suitable, parts/cost wise. I can't really pin this as the issue remotely, but its the best guess I can make with your story so far.
no.. i think this is the first time ive seen the screen go nuts like that...
and no.. as i mentioned... screen was green with no words or progress bar....

if you can list all the ways i can access the bios or efi watever its called, i will leave all of you alone..

corporal_Canada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
If your MBP is designed for Canada, which uses 120V/240V, that could be an issue since the Philippines uses 115V/230V... (from Wikipedia)

Have you tried all the recovery key combinations? Also make sure that you are connected to the internet via Wi-Fi or ethernet
yes.. ive connected to the wifi (and tried this through my only ethernet cable)... the first progress bar zips by... the 2nd progress bar... that is slightly bigger doesnt budge... not even a dot...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Apple’s laptops are all the same with regard to power, and the power adapters are universal as well, only requiring different plug adapters.

corporal_Canada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
no.. i think this is the first time ive seen the screen go nuts like that...
and no.. as i mentioned... screen was green with no words or progress bar....

if you can list all the ways i can access the bios or efi watever its called, i will leave all of you alone..
THIS ^^^

im not certain i want macos again... catalina i think was installed.. it kept crashing whenever i watched twitch.tv

corporal_Canada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
minor correction... i believe just the lcd monitor died not the mainboard... after trying to boot it a few times i figured out that the faint sound is the dvd player trying to load a disc... and.. the macbook was warm to the touch.. didnt notice the tiny led illuminated on the bottom front...... i will not travel to manila to get scammed by a Filipino apple store to replace a dead screen.. ill just recover the ssd and throw this US tech in the bin and work on this 100$ fujitsu laptop and apologize for wasting all of your time.. sorry...

corporal_Canada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
minor correction... i believe just the lcd monitor died not the mainboard... after trying to boot it a few times i figured out that the faint sound is the dvd player trying to load a disc... and.. the macbook was warm to the touch.. didnt notice the tiny led illuminated on the bottom front...... i will not travel to manila to get scammed by a Filipino apple store to replace a dead screen.. ill just recover the ssd and throw this US tech in the bin and work on this 100$ fujitsu laptop and apologize for wasting all of your time.. sorry...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.