Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richphillipsphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2021
Hi all,

I'm in the process of selling my mid 2011 iMac. I have erased the OS and am now trying to reinstall OS X Lion 10.7. I followed another thread on here which told me to boot in Internet recovery mode which I have done. I have also changed the date to an earlier date in the terminal. Now when I try to install it comes up with an error message saying "Cannot download the additional components needed to install Mac OS X"

Help!

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Why not installing a later OSX version like Yosemite or El Capitan (update is possible up to macOS 10.13)?
You can download the installer from Apple with another Mac, set the iMac in TargetDiskMode, install OSX onto that iMac in TDM.
Since installing Mac and iMac are different machines You'll have to boot the iMac in RecoveryMode afterwards and install OSX a second time.
Here's a similar discussion ... https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-components-for-os-lion.2295157/post-29863889

Edit: You may even use the Sierra/HighSierra patcher from dosdude1, prepare a 16GB USB-stick for installation, create a RecoveryPartition with CarbonCopyCloner and then boot the iMac in RecoveryMode afterwards and install OSX a second time.

Last edited:

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Installing that old a version of OS X you'd need to change the date to an older one using the Terminal as the certificate has expired and Apple hasn't released a new installer with an updated certificate. There are a lot of posts on that problem.

If your iMac has had 10.12.4 or later installed at some point you could try using Option+Command+R which should boot into 10.13 High Sierra Internet Recovery to install that. See https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204904

Depending when you got your Mac it may have come with a Snow Leopard Install DVD. The retail disc won't work, it needs to be one specifically for the iMac.

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
i've met the same problem, eh maybe not exactly the same, i've mi 2011 27", it worked fine with i5, but i upgraded the cpu i7, video card, rams, and changed to a ssd + hdd system , then the problems came: imac can install el capitan, but can't install any mac os all versions after el capitan, nor sierra nor high sierra, of course cant install opencore catalina or others, the same issue after first reboot here attached screen shot: "mac os cant be installed on this mac" (sorry the screen language was in french), i can't even clone from a external disk with system, it crashed at the 90%, yes i did changed the date, and deactived the csr service, i dont know what i can do now, any one get a clue to help please? many thanks!
btw when i had high sierra on old hdd, i cant install the last security update download from apple server, 2020-006, it can run in system, but after reboot, the installation stopped or crashed at 70% always, hope can find a way here to install it, thanks

IMG_5115.JPG
IMG_3101.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.