Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I recently and for the 1st time ever logged out of iCloud. I now want to log back in. However, after I have entered my Apple ID and password, it eventually asks me for the 6-digit number used to obtain access to my iPhone 11. I have for many years, and certainly from long before I owned the iPhone 11, used the same number. iCloud does not recognise this number. Where do I go from here ?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Unless you fixed the problem from your previous thread, it may be related to having shared the same account with your wife.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
We do still share my Apple ID. That worked perfectly well until the recent crisis, but I do accept that it must be changed at the 1st opportunity. I did not adopt that arrangement out of laziness, but under pressure of time many years ago when I was setting up my wife's iPad for her, in my touching innocence thinking that I could quite easily give her a separate identity in due course. I have now set up her new telephone, but still with my Apple ID. I am beginning to wonder if iCloud is asking for the 6-digit number for her telephone. Is that possible ? Meanwhile, thank you for coming to my help.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Yes, that has done it. But I long, oh, how I long, to be out of this tangle with my wife's Apple ID. Is there really no way in which we can create completely separate IDs ? I do not want to seem ungracious, though, thank you for helping me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.