Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kharder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I have an odd problem and hope somebody has some knowledge...

I cannot play all of my commercial DVDs on my 2009 mac mini after doing a clean install of ML 10.8.1. I have no trouble with commercial audio cds, blank cd and +,- dvds ( I can burn ) or movies that was home made. I had no problems before, when I was using the latest version of SL.

Have anybody experienced anything like this after upgrading?

My system information..

Late 2009 Mac Mini
OSX 10.8.1
PIONEER DVD-RW DVRTS08 rev. Q81F
Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), Late 2009

I can play all of my DVDs on my macbook from 2008 also running ML 10.8.1. In the macbook, the drive is a HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS21N rev. SA18

Last edited:

kharder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
What error does it give you? Have you installed the 10.8.2 update?

I have not installed the 10.8.2 update, but I will try to see if it helps.

I get no error, but it gives a clicking sound and it spins up and down a couple of times. Then the disc is ejected.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Your optical drive may be failing. Do you have an installation of Snow Leopard to Lion to boot the Mini with to test it?

kharder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Your optical drive may be failing. Do you have an installation of Snow Leopard to Lion to boot the Mini with to test it?

No, I do not have SL anymore. If my drive is failing, it would make more sense if all dvds is rejected and I cannot burn. I have just upgraded to 10.8.2 and the problem persists, but I found one dvd that would both mount and play. I tried it several times and it mounted and played all the time.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It could be having trouble with dual layer dvds. Most commercial ones are dual layer. The one that it likes could be a single layer one. Do you have any dual layer discs that you burned to test with?

kharder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
It could be having trouble with dual layer dvds. Most commercial ones are dual layer. The one that it likes could be a single layer one. Do you have any dual layer discs that you burned to test with?

I have no DL discs that I have burned, but those two I found that work are both 8 gb (DL?).

kharder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I am now sure that my drive is failing. I tried linux from an external hd and experienced the same problems. So the solution must be to replace the drive.

kharder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I have found the solution to my problems with the superdrive.... :D

I read on another forum that others have had success with "air in a can". I gave the drive a big blow and IT WORKS...

Thanks for all the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.